Mishelle LaBrash's Reviews > The Tea Rose

The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly

Feb 05, 2010

bookshelves: favorites
Read from September 04 to 12, 2010

I was just saying to my reading buddy, Rhonda, that I was tiring of the typical.. 'Privelaged girl meets Privelaged boy, having to endure the constant snear of society, all the while trying to (and always failing) to maintain ones virtue' stories.

Don't get me wrong, I love those books as much as the next guy..er.. uhm girl. It's just that lately I have been craving something 'more'. More angst, More struggle, (beyond what color of dress to wear to the society ball), more 'REAL'.

I definatly found that in 'The Tea Rose'. A magnificent story, of love and loss, struggle and survival, and the determination to be more than what life has handed you. A beautiful 'life and love' story, that felt very real for me. Nothing fairy tale-ish about it, just a handful of people willing to work there butts of to make it in a cruel world.. and the people along the way, some who hindered, many who loved unconditionally and helped ease the way.

I adored this book.. Can't wait for The Winter Rose (The Tea Rose, #2) by Jennifer Donnelly

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tea Rose.

Quotes Mishelle Liked

Jennifer Donnelly
“She was his soulmate, as much a part of him as the very flesh and bone that made him. She was with him, in him, in everything he did. She was everything he wanted from his life, the very measure of his dreams.”

Jennifer Donnelly
“We're not punished for our sins, lad. We're punished by them.”
tags: sins

Jennifer Donnelly
“Funny, 'ow you can 'old a jewel in your 'and, and toss it away, and not even know what you 'ad until it's gone.”

09/05/2010 page 80
09/05/2010 page 80
14.0% "Yay.. A book I can't put down.. It's about BLEEPIN time!!"
09/07/2010 page 320
56.0% "heart breaking..."

Ellen W-S Shell so glad you are reading this, I have two or three Jennifer Donnelly books waiting on my shelf upstairs that I have promised to myself once I finish EITB....you know something to tide me over...I also have the Sara Donati books too but can't give myself up to reading them til I have finished with Jamie and Claire. So thanks for reminding me that these await my attention and that they are worth the wait! Enjoy