Tamsien West (Babbling Books)'s Reviews > The Messenger

The Messenger by Markus Zusak

bookshelves: 30-before-30, australia

If you're looking for another Book Thief, look away from this book - that is not what you are going to get. What you will get instead is a contemporary story of a 19 year old with no prospects or purpose whose life is upended when he's held up in a bank robbery.

This book was funny and unexpectedly touching. It's not about crime (which I had somehow assumed from skimming the blurb and seeing mention of a bank robbery), but there is some violence. There is so much heart to the friendships in the story, and acts of heartwarming kindness.

Trigger warnings for: rape mentions, murder mentions and descriptive violence (blood)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Messenger.

March 16, 2014 – Shelved
March 16, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
November 5, 2018 – Shelved as: 30-before-30
November 5, 2018 – Shelved as: australia
February 15, 2019 – Started Reading
February 17, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum What are your thoughts on the ending? I thought it was brilliant.

Tamsien West (Babbling Books) Tracey Allen wrote: "What are your thoughts on the ending? I thought it was brilliant."

(view spoiler)

Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum Tamsien West (Babbling Books) wrote: "Totally agree, the ending really tied it all together and gave meaning to a lot of it.
[spoilers removed]"

Glad you enjoyed it. I really liked the 'meta' ending.