Catherine's Reviews > My Darling, My Hamburger

My Darling, My Hamburger by Paul Zindel

Feb 04, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: children-ya, b-ed, fiction

Here is the entirety of my review after my first read: "This was a book full of characters I didn't like." I had given it 1 star.

Reviewing it again to write an essay, I found the book held up to close scrutiny extraordinarily well, particularly when compared to the other books I was working with (Twilight, Uglies and The Outsiders). I think my initial reaction occurred because the characters in the book are very true to life. My high school experience was quite unlike the one depicted in the book, but I knew people just like Liz and Maggie and Sean and Dennis.

Zindel makes consistent use of symbols. His somewhat elliptical narrative was interesting to probe, as he gives evidence (dates and other small details) that might pass unnoticed the first time.

It was a fast and unpleasant first read, but a highly interesting source of ideas the second time around. I don't think I would choose it for students, though. I know I wouldn't have looked past the first read when I was in high school...
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Darling, My Hamburger.

February 4, 2010 – Shelved