B the BookAddict's Reviews > Code Name Verity

19832827

bookshelves: hist-fiction, wwii, favorites
Recommended to B the BookAddict by: All About Books group read
Recommended for: EVERYONE

There have been a couple of negative reviews which have made me want to stab myself in the eyes in frustration. WERE THEY NOT THINKING WHEN THEY READ THIS BOOK, maybe watching tv at the same time or maybe they were TEXTING, TWITTER??? Instances used as the basis for this novel actually happened, read the author's notes, have a look at some of the references!

Some time later and a lot calmer, I write...

"I closed this book feeling I'd met real people that I'd never forget. Code Name Verity's characters don't just stick with me - they haunt me." New York Times best-selling author, Maggie Stiefvater

Maggie Stiefvater, I am with you - the characters in Code Name Verity will stay with me for a long, long time. For me, this novel was hauntingly real, devastatingly heroic and absolutely unforgettable. I urge everyone, no matter your age or gender, to read this novel. most highly recommended 5★

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Code Name Verity.

March 15, 2014 – Shelved
April 30, 2014 – Shelved as: hist-fiction
April 30, 2014 – Shelved as: wwii
April 30, 2014 – Shelved as: favorites
April 30, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)

Angela M I just added this the recently . Looks good !

B the BookAddict Angela wrote: "I just added this the recently . Looks good !"

I think it was a group read in AAB recently; that's how I found it.

☼♄Jülie  Wow....how could I pass up such a recommendation, I'm onto it!!

Kathryn Great review, Bette. I've also heard mixed opinions and have been in two minds about whether I want to read it or not...

message 5: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro Good review! :)

Thanks for the recommendation!

B the BookAddict ☼♄Jülie wrote: "Wow....how could I pass up such a recommendation, I'm onto it!!"

Julie, to write a detailed review, I would have given away the punch that the story holds. After I read the book, I sat feeling both proud to be a woman but also feeling hollowed out inside.

message 7: by B the BookAddict (last edited Apr 30, 2014 12:44PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

B the BookAddict Kathryn wrote: "Great review, Bette. I've also heard mixed opinions and have been in two minds about whether I want to read it or not..."

Kathryn, I don't think I lead you astray on The Street Sweeper:P This is an entirely different type of novel but I have no hesitation in saying "go for it". :)

Kathryn Bette BookAddict wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Great review, Bette. I've also heard mixed opinions and have been in two minds about whether I want to read it or not..."

Kathryn, I don't think I lead you astray on The Street Swe..."

B the BookAddict Kathryn wrote: "Bette BookAddict wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Great review, Bette. I've also heard mixed opinions and have been in two minds about whether I want to read it or not..."

Kathryn, I don't think I lead you...

That's very true - having now read it, I can absolutely understand your love of The Street Sweeper... And I'll add this to the list! "

message 10: by ☼♄Jülie  (last edited Apr 30, 2014 05:48PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

☼♄Jülie  Bette BookAddict wrote: "☼♄Jülie wrote: "Wow....how could I pass up such a recommendation, I'm onto it!!"

It's on my list Bette, next day out I'm lookin' for it! It sounds like a keeper so I'd like to get a real copy ;-)

☼♄Jülie  Ok Bette, just got back from the shops and my TBR pile is now another inch higher with the addition of Code Name Verity!! :D I'm chuffed.

message 12: by Jan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jan Bette-try to read Rose Under Fire soon, the sequel to Code Name Verity. The story picks up a little after Code Name Verity ends. It's just as riveting. I highly recommend it.

B the BookAddict Jan wrote: "Bette-try to read Rose Under Fire soon, the sequel to Code Name Verity. The story picks up a little after Code Name Verity ends. It's just as riveting. I highly recommend it."

Thanks Jan, I have added it to my tbr and reserved at the library.

message 14: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Keeten I've added it! Wait I just got a text message. Right, now where were we hmmm a book, a good book. Wait haha another text. Now look Fred is eating at Arbys says so right there on my FB feed. Now some twit has tweeted me something. Verity, verity hmmm truth something about truth. Ahh looky there it is time for American Fool I mean Idol to start. It seems like I'm forgetting something very important.

B the BookAddict Jeffrey wrote: "I've added it! Wait I just got a text message. Right, now where were we hmmm a book, a good book. Wait haha another text. Now look Fred is eating at Arbys says so right there on my FB feed. Now som..."

You have the most important thing done, you've added the book. But if you have friends who tweet you photos of what they are eating, I suggest you flick them. You gotta think, why weren't you invited? :)

Elizabeth This was my top read of 2012! Read it everybody!

B the BookAddict Elizabeth wrote: "This was my top read of 2012! Read it everybody!"

It's a really good book, isn't it? When that really pivotal moment happened at end of first part, I felt quite gutted.

Molly Sargen You said it perfectly. The characters are 100% real. Re-read it and it will be even more amazing. Every detail will fall into place and totally wow you.

message 19: by Debs (new) - rated it 4 stars

Debs I have added to my TBR list. I cannot wait for a quiet weekend to get lost in this book.

message 20: by Beth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beth Completely agree with this review - LOVED every minute I was reading this book!

Brynn Lautenbacher I totally agree with you. This book is so well written. The stories are fun to read and they really grab your attention. I think that people didn't like the book because it is hard to get into. Most people who are writing reviews didn't finish. I had to try 3 times to start this book, but I'm glad I did. The characters are my best friends and my worst enemies. I cried and laughed with them. I found myself wanting them to be real so I could just hug them.

My favorite part of the book was everything about Verity. She was a really tough girl and she found a great way to weave her story into her confession. She was brave and strong. She did what she had to do to keep herself and her friends safe. I could never've done what she did. I want her to be real so I can keep her safe and tell her that she did the right thing.

message 22: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne No stabling please Bette lol. Glad you liked it! I've been aware of this for a long time, but yours is the most exciting review I've read.

B the BookAddict Thanks, Suzanne. It made me so mad that thought it was just a 'made up' story. It's worth a read.

message 24: by Kathleen (new) - added it

Kathleen Smashing review, Bette! Definitely adding it and hope to read it soon.

Angela M Don't know how I missed this Bette , considering how much I loved this book!

Angela M I commented but neglected to hit the like button which I have rectified!

B the BookAddict Thanks, Kathleen.

Sometimes, I forget the like button too, Angela, especially if I'm really impressed with the review.

Angela M I still think about this one too !