Ruth's Reviews > Secrets at Court

Secrets at Court by Blythe Gifford

bookshelves: all-time-favorites, highland-medieval-tudor-ancient, historical-romance, net_galley

This was such a wonderful story that I didn't want it to end, and when it did, I was left with that horrible what-on-earth-can-I-read-now? feeling you get when you read a book which completely absorbs you. I had to set aside all the books I'd had lined up to read next, and choose something else, because nothing I'd selected was going to come anywhere near close to being a satisfying read after this one, which was provided by the publisher through netgalley.

This is a story set in the court of Edward III, during a time of war and Black Death, when marriages were considered sacred if vows spoken aloud were consummated. But this description doesn't do it justice.

The story challenges conventional historical thinking, with a setting which allows us to peek into conventions of the time, and yet, still satisfies the need for a really great romance.

The hero and heroine are wonderfully written. We get to see the world through their cynical eyes, and then the development of unexpected, unwanted love. The intrigues of the Court are woven deeply into the story and the ending is as convincing as it is simple. The setting is wonderfully described and the writing is simply excellent.

And here I run out of words..

5 stars. I absolutely frikkin' loved this book. Straight to my all-time-favorites list and I'm never getting rid of it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secrets at Court.

March 14, 2014 – Started Reading
March 14, 2014 – Shelved
March 22, 2014 –
9.0% "Just started this one and I'm already hooked!"
March 23, 2014 –
54.0% "This is such a wonderful, intriguing, painful, hopeful, beautifully-written story. I don't want it ever to end."
March 23, 2014 – Shelved as: all-time-favorites
March 23, 2014 – Shelved as: highland-medieval-tudor-ancient
March 23, 2014 – Shelved as: historical-romance
March 23, 2014 – Shelved as: net_galley
March 23, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

AgentScully wow, that's high praise! it's been a long time since a Hqn Historical has really grabbed me, I am so ordering this one

Ruth AgentScully wrote: "wow, that's high praise! it's been a long time since a Hqn Historical has really grabbed me, I am so ordering this one"

Oh this one completely took me by surprise! I was expecting something formulaic, and I guess it was to a certain extent, but it was so much more. The cover didn't do it justice.

Actually, this is the second Hqn historical which I've loved recently, so maybe they're really upping the ante on the quality?

AgentScully I hope so, what was the first one?

I've just been reading some older HH's lately

Ruth AgentScully wrote: "I hope so, what was the first one?

I've just been reading some older HH's lately"

Hmm. I can't remember off-hand. I'll get back to you on that. I'm using my phone with its itty bitty screen...