Tiana's Reviews > The Namesake

F 50x66
Feb 03, 2010

liked it
Read in February, 2010

I really debated between giving this book 2 or 3 stars. I decided on 3 because it's well-written and has several redeeming qualities. But I was tempted to give it 2 stars simply because I thought it was fairly slow and dull. Honestly, the only reason I finished it was because I'm very, very pregnant and haven't been able to make it to the library to pick up the books I have on hold, so I had nothing else to read. In general I thought the author's writing style was unique and well done, although I thought she often gave too much descriptive detail that caused me to skim over entire pages. And I especially liked reading about an immigrant's experience of living in this country. Another redeeming quality is the emphasis placed on one's heritage and how that shapes who we are. But my overall problem with the book was that I found the main character, Gogol, to be uninteresting and not especially likable. I'm glad I stuck it out and finished it because there were plenty of interesting facts and lessons to be learned from this book, but I would have preferred to be reading something more fun and enjoyable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Namesake.