Sarah (Head Stuck In A Book)'s Reviews > The Bodies We Wear

The Bodies We Wear by Jeyn Roberts

The Bodies We Wear is ultimately a story about revenge, of Faye who at the age of eleven was forced to take the drug Heam, which shuts your body down for a brief time, almost deathlike, if you're lucky you live or the other outcome is death, whilst under this drug high you purportedly glimpse heaven.

This is not so for Faye who sees hell and believes that's where she's headed, when her best-friend Christian is also forced to consume the drug he is not so lucky and he dies, vowing to avenge his death she's spent the last six years learning to fight and trailing her assailants of that fateful night all those years ago, so that when the time comes she'll kill them all.

It's while out keeping tabs on the ringleader Rufus one night that she meets Chael, a good looking guy her age who seems familiar, he also seems to know an awful lot about her, and when we find out why that is, it will shock you completely, and will change the direction of the story we thought we were getting.

Living with her guardian Gazer, she attends school on a scholarship, but people like Faye who have overdosed on Heam are ostracised, and although the school forbids the students from knowing anything about her, they have rules she has to follow including no fraternising with other students or else she will be kicked out, and with no other school willing to take her, she needs to be on her best behaviour at all times, to graduate and prove to the faculty that just because she overdosed doesn't mean she can't try to make something of herself.

This was a very interesting and captivating story, almost like a dystopian with its world under the grip of the Heam epidemic with no law enforcement able to control the dealers or stop the distribution of the drug, with a smidgeon of paranormal all set in a contemporary setting.

I'm excited to see where this series goes, once you pick this book up it's almost as addictive as Heam, and way too hard to put down, very, very enjoyable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bodies We Wear.

March 13, 2014 – Shelved