Margaret's Reviews > The Girl Who Chased the Moon

Feb 03, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: general-fiction, magical-realism, authors-ab, 2010-read
Read on February 09, 2010 , read count: 1

When Emily Benedict's mother dies, Emily goes to her old hometown to live with her grandfather Vance. As Emily searches for her mother's history, she becomes entangled with mysterious Win Coffey, who has secrets of his own. Meanwhile, Vance's neighbor Julia Winterson, bakes delicious concoctions and dreams of her past, of connections made but long broken.

As with Allen's other novels, this one is light, charming, and faintly magical, but somehow, I didn't enjoy it as much. Partly it was because I was much more drawn to the Julia parts than to Emily and Win, especially once a plot element was revealed which reminded me far too much of Twilight. (No, nobody is a vampire, but there's an unmistakable similarity.) Allen is often compared to Alice Hoffman, but there's a depth of feeling and character in Hoffman's best which Allen so far hasn't attained.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Chased the Moon.

07/03 marked as: read

Tonya OMG only 3 stars?? I have been waiting for this book to come out forever! How come only 3???

Margaret I'd give it three and a half stars if I could, because I did enjoy it, but essentially, I felt that one half of the plot didn't work nearly so well as the other half. I'll review it properly when I have a chance!