Conal's Reviews > Fires of Man

Fires of Man by Dan Levinson

19832556

liked it
bookshelves: science-fiction, read-owned

I received this book as an ARC copy from the author.

I was excited to read this novel as I am a big fan of stories that encompass mind powers along with plenty of action and wasn’t disappointed in this aspect of the book. The author crafted a well designed story that effectively uses psionics by the characters. The story is set in an alternate Earth but the technology, social activities and entertainment all seem to mirror the current western and eastern societies of Earth in the 2010’s. It details the conflict between the two current major powers (Orion and Calchis) of the planet and the on-going struggle for supremacy.

It contains a lot of characters that are each detailed in separate chapters regarding current activities. These characters are well written and I found myself interested in each one. My belief was that the author would add some convergence to the character stories being told but I was disappointed in this. The characters (at least in this first story of the series) stories never really overlap and even those who have some connection seem to be written to separate them from those they already know. I can say that this did lessen my enjoyment overall in the book. (view spoiler)

If you have issues with the above, I would probably wait for the series to finish before trying this. As I am already engaged, I will probably continue as they come out.
3.5 stars for a good story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fires of Man.

March 13, 2014 – Shelved
March 13, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
March 13, 2014 – Shelved as: science-fiction
Started Reading
March 21, 2014 – Finished Reading
August 9, 2016 – Shelved as: read-owned

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Amy Levinson Reader rated as 3.5 stars. Stars should reflect that.

Conal Amy, we can't rate half stars on GoodReads so I rated the best I could. I enjoyed the story and the writing but the ending detracted enough from personal enjoyment not to rate it 4 stars.