Meigan's Reviews > The Curse Keepers

The Curse Keepers by Denise Grover Swank

Fun, interesting spin on the disappearance of the Roanoke Colony.

Ellie Lancaster and Collin Dailey are Curse Keepers - a role passed down from generation to generation. They are the current generation of Keepers and unfortunately for them, the curse has been broken. They now must work together to stop both vengeful gods and demons from wreaking havoc on humanity.

I really liked the author's paranormal twist on the disappearance of the people of Roanoke. I also like that instead of making it far-fetched (which can get weird) with the paranormal, she wove in certain aspects that had a grain of truth to them. Many speculate that the Roanoke colony disbanded and went on to live with other peaceful Indian tribes; Swank revolves her curse around Native American lore and legends, all with ties to the Croatoan tribe. She clearly put some time an effort into the research, which always deserves a high-five.

I really liked all of the characters, Ellie being one of my favorites. One aspect of Ellie that I liked was her difficulty with the curse. She was taught from a young age the importance of being a Keeper. Something happened to her and because of that, the details are fuzzy. This throws a serious wrench in things - Collin is the Keeper for the Manteo side, Ellie the Dare side. Collin only knows so much about the Dare side of the equation, as neither side was really privy to all of the opposing sides' details. He certainly isn't much help as far as guiding Ellie and telling her what to do, and unfortunately for them both, Ellie's father is in ailing health and has more bad days than good. Those parts were interesting, I kept wondering how in the heck Ellie was going to pull her weight and keep the apocalypse from happening when she can't even remember the basic, but important, words of protection.

Another fun part was the relationship between Ellie and Collin. They didn't start off as friendly, it was a gradual progression. It was truly hate (or at least aggravation) at first sight, and some of their moments of bickering were quite funny.

Be warned - the ending is a bit of a cliffhanger. Or at least, it ends with some unanswered questions which I assume will be answered in the book that follows, The Curse Breakers. There is also a short story/novella titled This Place is Death, which takes place 400 years ago and is the beginning of the curse. That can be read before or after the book, it's not one of those vengeful novellas that are actually 'required reads' as opposed to 'extras', which is what all novellas should be. I recommend both this book and the novella if you are looking for something a little different in the paranormal world. If you want vampires and weres instead of angry Native American gods and spirits, then this probably won't be your book :)

**I received this eARC on behalf of the publisher, 47North, via NetGalley in exchange for my honest opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Curse Keepers.

March 13, 2014 – Shelved
April 23, 2014 – Shelved as: urban-fantasy
September 15, 2014 – Shelved as: ghosts-spirits-ghouls-wraiths
September 18, 2014 – Shelved as: mythology
September 9, 2015 – Shelved as: kissing-books

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Jeanny Excellent review. I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. Book 2 is a pretty good read.