Shelby *trains flying monkeys*'s Reviews > The Martian

The Martian by Andy Weir

bookshelves: favorites, read-2014
Recommended to Shelby *trains flying monkeys* by: Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Recommended for: Everyone!!!!

Mark Watney. I just can't even tell you how much I love this character. I think he may just be on the list of my favorite male characters ever. The dude is stranded on Mars..with no one. Does he cry? Well, only sometimes. Does he fight against the planet from hell? Heck yes!

Everywhere I go, I'm the first. Step outside the rover? First guy to every be there! Climb a hill? First guy to climb that hill! Kick a rock? That rock hadn't moved in a million years!

I did get lost in some of the science of this book..but who cares? I might have learned something. If I ever get trapped on Mars I would probably die in 2.5 seconds. I do have confirmation on something that my husband tells me constantly. Duct tape fixes everything!

Mark Watney is full of snark and is probably the smartest character I've even had the pleasure of reading in a novel. He does find himself trapped with Disco music and bad seventies TV. One of the comments he makes is that women don't line up for botanist/nerds.

Dude... start the line behind me please!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Martian.

Quotes Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Liked

Andy Weir
“If ruining the only religious icon I have leaves me vulnerable to Martian vampires, I'll have to risk it.”

Andy Weir
“I can't wait till I have grandchildren. When I was younger, I had to walk to the rim of a crater. Uphill! In an EVA suit! On Mars, ya little shit! Ya hear me? Mars!”

Andy Weir
“Maybe I’ll post a consumer review. “Brought product to surface of Mars. It stopped working. 0/10.”

Andy Weir
“Actually, I was the very lowest ranked member of the crew. I would only be “in command” if I were the only remaining person.”
What do you know? I’m in command”

Andy Weir
“Yes, of course duct tape works in a near-vacuum. Duct tape works anywhere. Duct tape is magic and should be worshiped.”

Andy Weir
“I started the day with some nothin’ tea. Nothin’ tea is easy to make. First, get some hot water, then add nothin’.”

Andy Weir
“My asshole is doing as much to keep me alive as my brain.”

Andy Weir
“I need to ask myself, 'What would an Apollo astronaut do?' He'd drink three whiskey sours, drive his Corvette to the launchpad, then fly to the moon in a command module smaller than my Rover. Man those guys were cool.”

Andy Weir
“Me: “This is obviously a clog. How about I take it apart and check the internal tubing?” NASA: (after five hours of deliberation) “No. You’ll fuck it up and die.” So I took it apart.”

Andy Weir
“It’s true, you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl.”

March 13, 2014 – Shelved
June 7, 2014 – Started Reading
June 10, 2014 –
page 11
2.98% " "
June 10, 2014 –
page 27
7.32% "I suppose I'll think of something. Or die.\n Anyway, much more important: I simply can't abide the replacement of Chrissy with Cindy. Three's Company may never be the same after this fiasco. Time will tell.\n "
June 11, 2014 –
page 63
17.07% ""He's stuck out there. He thinks he's totally alone and that we have all gave up on him. what kind of effect does that have on a man's psychology? I wonder what he is thinking right now?"\n Log entry: How come Aquaman can control whales? They're mammals! Makes no sense.\n "
June 11, 2014 –
page 129
34.96% ">>>Also, please watch your language. Everything you type is being broadcast live all over the world>>>>>\n WATNEY: Look! A pair of boobs! -> (.Y.)\n "
June 14, 2014 –
page 217
58.81% "Somebody better sign up Andy Weir for a movie deal-if they have any sense....just saying"
June 15, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "Yippeeeeee!"

I'm so dang beat from work today that I can't focus on reading it. Lol

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "Yippeeeeee!"

I'm so dang beat from work today that I can't focus on reading it. Lol"

I know the feeling. Just call me Garfield 'cause I freaking hate Mondays.

Kaora 11 pages in and you already know its going to be good? Ugh why is the lineup for this book at my library so long!!

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "Yippeeeeee!"

I'm so dang beat from work today that I can't focus on reading it. Lol"

I know the feeling. Just call me..."

Gawd..me too. My doc and I saw 48 patients yesterday..

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Allison wrote: "11 pages in and you already know its going to be good? Ugh why is the lineup for this book at my library so long!!"

Mine was too..somehow I slipped in and got it.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

:D nothing but good reviews

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Kat Stark wrote: ":D nothing but good reviews"

LOL Mine will be too. I loved it!

Carla Palmeiro I have the audiobook ... I might read this next. Btw I'm your book stalker ... I always end up reading something great you posted! TY for that.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Carla wrote: "I have the audiobook ... I might read this next. Btw I'm your book stalker ... I always end up reading something great you posted! TY for that."

Lol. It's a good one! And thanks :)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL! awesome review and thank god for duct tape

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Kat Stark wrote: "LOL! awesome review and thank god for duct tape"

:) the best tool ever!

message 13: by Caroline (new)

Caroline " If I ever get trapped on Mars I would probably die in 2.5 seconds."

L.O.L. Me too. :D

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Caroline wrote: "" If I ever get trapped on Mars I would probably die in 2.5 seconds."

L.O.L. Me too. :D"

Alejandro Good review :)

This book is in my TBR list in a very close spot to be read real soon ;)

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Alejandro wrote: "Good review :)

This book is in my TBR list in a very close spot to be read real soon ;)"

*do it*

Alejandro Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "Alejandro wrote: "Good review :)

This book is in my TBR list in a very close spot to be read real soon ;)"

*do it*"

Will do! ;)

message 19: by R.S. (new) - rated it 5 stars

R.S. Carter It's all about duct tape! I should stock up.

Michelle Only Wants to Read This guy could teach McGyver some lessons. Great review. I loved his sense of humor, and I cried as his last potatoes stayed behind. Loved it!

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Michelle wrote: "This guy could teach McGyver some lessons. Great review. I loved his sense of humor, and I cried as his last potatoes stayed behind. Loved it!"

He is awesome! :)

message 22: by Lyn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lyn Nice! I am going to use "snark" or a variant in my next review

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Lyn wrote: "Nice! I am going to use "snark" or a variant in my next review"

:P

message 24: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Wonderful review, Shelby! I've been going back and forth on this one, but your review sold me on it!

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Kelly wrote: "Wonderful review, Shelby! I've been going back and forth on this one, but your review sold me on it!"

Hope you enjoy. I loved it enough I got the hubby a copy to make him read. Lol

message 26: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "Kelly wrote: "Wonderful review, Shelby! I've been going back and forth on this one, but your review sold me on it!"

Hope you enjoy. I loved it enough I got the hubby a copy to make him read. Lol"

Thanks! I hope your hubs likes it, too! :D

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Kelly wrote: "Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "Kelly wrote: "Wonderful review, Shelby! I've been going back and forth on this one, but your review sold me on it!"

Hope you enjoy. I loved it enough I g..."

Erica Yup. I'm right behind you in line. I love this guy SO much.
Also, I, too, would die immediately if marooned on Mars. I know this now.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Erica wrote: "Yup. I'm right behind you in line. I love this guy SO much.
Also, I, too, would die immediately if marooned on Mars. I know this now."

LOL. He is the man. <3

Erica Well, now he is Matt Damon. Or Matt Damon is him.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Erica wrote: "Well, now he is Matt Damon. Or Matt Damon is him.
:/"

I know. That part sux. I did not picture Matt Damon in my head for Mark Watney.

P.S. You made me want to read the book again.

Erica Or maybe LISTEN to the book?
Because the narrator did a great job.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Erica wrote: "Or maybe LISTEN to the book?
Because the narrator did a great job."

I try with audiobooks but I just can't do it. :(

Erica Well, if you ever go blind and break both hands so that you can't read braille while you've got your casts on, give this audiobook a try...is my suggestion.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Erica wrote: "Well, if you ever go blind and break both hands so that you can't read braille while you've got your casts on, give this audiobook a try...is my suggestion."

Will do :)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ This one is moving way up on my TBR list. And duct tape makes even reviews better!

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Tadiana wrote: "This one is moving way up on my TBR list. And duct tape makes even reviews better!"

This is one of my favorites..ever. Just love all the way :)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ I just finished it yesterday. Loved it SO much. I'm going to buy it for my dad for Christmas. He's the one who got me into SF when I was a teenager.

message 39: by Shelby *trains flying monkeys* (last edited Nov 28, 2014 06:13PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Tadiana wrote: "I just finished it yesterday. Loved it SO much. I'm going to buy it for my dad for Christmas. He's the one who got me into SF when I was a teenager."

Yay! Glad it was a good one for you too. I want to make everyone read it.

Kimberly I plan on reading this one next. :)

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Kimberly wrote: "I plan on reading this one next. :)"

Yay!!

Kimberly Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "I plan on reading this one next. :)"

Yay!!"

:D

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ Kimberly wrote: "I plan on reading this one next. :)"

Enjoy!

Melanie Loved this!! I'll start that line with you! Everyone queue behind us for botanists and nerd love!!

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Melanie wrote: "Loved this!! I'll start that line with you! Everyone queue behind us for botanists and nerd love!!"

Kimberly Melanie wrote: "Loved this!! I'll start that line with you! Everyone queue behind us for botanists and nerd love!!"

LOL--loved that quote!

message 47: by Lani (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lani Your review of this book is perfect! Rarely do I give 5 stars, but this one truly deserved it. Your review is what pushed me to finally read it.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Lani wrote: "Your review of this book is perfect! Rarely do I give 5 stars, but this one truly deserved it. Your review is what pushed me to finally read it."

I loved this sucker. I'm even going to go and watch the movie of it even though Matt Damon is a douche. LOL

message 49: by Lani (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lani Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "Lani wrote: "Your review of this book is perfect! Rarely do I give 5 stars, but this one truly deserved it. Your review is what pushed me to finally read it."

I loved this sucker. I'm even going t..."

LOL! He really is!

Wayne Barrett Great review. I loved the story.

« previous 1