Coryl's Reviews > Across the Face of the World

Across the Face of the World by Russell Kirkpatrick

bookshelves: currently-own, fantasy, adult, 5-star, read-2017

A long and slow fantasy that drew me in over time. This book has taken me ages to get into--I'd tried reading it before, but didn't have the attention to properly give to it--but I'm so glad I finally read it.

This fantasy is on par with the vast world of Tolkien's Middle-earth while being entirely different, and a little less racist, even if it's still a giant sausage fest with one female character having any agency and the other two existing to showcase tragedy and suffering. I felt some of the races of humans to be stereotyped a bit, as well as being stereotypically coded versions of current cultures (Celtic and Indigenous being two of them). But, as with most fantasy novels written by white men, I don't expect progressive diversity from them.

The story is ripe with conflict and tension on every single level--the characters butt heads with each other, the politics of the world are much like ours and don't get along, and nature and the setting are hellbent on doing their thing (which is always what humans don't want). The protagonist is one of those "chosen ones" who rejects his calling, but I have a feeling that someone else has a higher calling than him.

I haven't started the sequel yet, but I'm so excited to see where the trilogy goes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Across the Face of the World.

March 12, 2014 – Shelved
June 9, 2017 –
page 202
June 17, 2017 –
page 251
45.31% "Taking my sweet time with this."
September 17, 2017 – Finished Reading