Optimist ♰King's Wench♰'s Reviews > Bliss

Bliss by Lisa Henry

Beulah…

“Protectionist. Elistist. Creepy perfect. A lot of people said a lot of sneering things about Beulah. But Beulah was also safe.”

First things first, I’m taking out Mr. Lowell. And I’m going to make it look like an accident. It’s a kindness really. What he deserves is for me to shove him off a cliff into a pit of naked, writhing, horny and sadistic women. Hmmm… on second thought.

I digress.

Let’s talk about this book. THIS BOOK. ARGH! Anything that elicits homicidal tendencies, anxiety AND laughter from me deserves a read. BUT, heed the warning, people. If non-con isn’t your thing… you’d best skedaddle.

But in Beulah, everything was different. Everything was simpler and more complicated at the same time.

Have you ever had a pot of really beautiful flowers that you had to move for whatever reason and when you picked up the pot there were slugs and creepy crawlers underneath? That’s Beulah. It’s lovely at first glance, but take a closer look and EEEEEEEE. I kept picturing Pleasantville in my head and that’s what made it not just regular “yuck” creepy but WHAT-IN-HOLY-FUCK creepy. There are so many things that are sooooooo right about Beulah, but this whole system of “rezzing” someone is twisted, abhorrent and corrupt, tainting the whole community.

Basically, if you are accused of a crime, just accused, you’re for all intents and purposes railroaded into seven years of servitude and chipped to make you “like” it, need it even and if you don’t provide that service with gusto, glee and zeal there will be pain, excruciating, mind-numbing pain that you’ll do anything to assuage, debased and humiliating things. Wanna know what the alternative is? Lifetime servitude. Oh, you can choose a trial but there’s a 99.9% chance you’ll lose and get life. So, you take the seven, right? Problem is there’s still a part of you, the real you, in there that’s locked away in a glass cage, screaming, crying and silent. Good times. *shudders*

Bliss is an emotional roller-coaster. If we’re friends on Goodreads, my status updates will confirm as much. I spent a good deal of it reading it with my hands on or near my head in some way-peeking through fingers, clenched fists, biting a nail, on top of my head. It was a work out. It might even count as a work out? Yes? Never mind, rhetorical question. Aside from all my feels, there are some truly compelling insights on government corruption and the oftentimes cruel nature of humans given the right set of circumstances.

“If you can’t trust what the government says now, how can you trust anything they’ve ever said?”

*coughs*NSA*coughs*

Tate, Rory and Aaron have been through a war together and forged those sorts of bonds that will last a lifetime. Of this I have no doubt; however, the focus of Bliss is Tate and Rory, though Aaron made for a charming secondary character. Tate and Rory’s relationship development was gradual. Let’s face it, it developed under some rather unusual circumstances. There were times when I felt “it” and times when I leaned more toward the friends side of the spectrum. I think it could’ve done with little more progression. At the end of the day, they were fleshed out well and their individual personalities shown through which is what I like best about these authors; they individualize their characters, give them their own voice, sometimes they are humorous, sometimes pensive and sometimes they’ll break your heart, usually all of the above. That’s what makes me continue to read their writez.

“This kissing shit is nice, but it’s for schoolgirls.”

There are two things that I’m still puzzled over. Why did Tate punch Rory in the first place? This just never gels cohesively for me. The rationale seems flimsy. The worldbuilding of the world outside Beulah could’ve been developed better. I’m not asking for loads of expansion, maybe a paragraph or two to tell me why the outside world is such a seemingly dystopian society whilst Beulah is such a “utopia”? How did this happen? Does Tophet comprise the entire outside world or are there other communities, sectors, countries?

Bliss isn’t for everyone, and I won’t hold it against you if you pass. It does have a generally hopeful message and no cliffhanger! I’ve been waiting for Bliss for what feels like FOR-EV-VER and I wasn’t disappointed. So, if non-con doesn’t squick you out or you like Belleau and/or Henry, you’ll enjoy Bliss.

Reviewed for

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bliss.

March 12, 2014 – Shelved
June 22, 2014 – Started Reading
June 22, 2014 –
6.0% "Penal system sounds good in theory.\n *waits for the other shoe to drop*"
June 23, 2014 –
14.0% "There's that other shoe. *shudder*"
June 23, 2014 –
28.0% "I'm getting the distinct impression that big brother is always watching.\n \n Creepy McCreeperstein is creepy"
June 24, 2014 –
40.0% "Hey, Lowell\n description"
June 24, 2014 –
48.0% "OMFG!!! You sinister, evil, fuckwit, bastard!\n I have friends. You will not like them.\n description"
June 25, 2014 –
64.0% "I haz so much anxiety right now. \n \n *bites nails*"
June 25, 2014 –
95.0% "description\n You filthy, naughty, good boy, you. UNF"
June 25, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme MUST READ! I wanna have it now. :)

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ Were they talking about it in the Riptide chat?

message 4: by Vivian (new)

Vivian I'd be all over that like stink on a pig. Good is overrated, be bad.

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ It does keep looking at me w/the hungry eyes. I may succumb.

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme Let me know how it goes.

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ ♆ BookAddict wrote: "Let me know how it goes."

Will do. :)

Emma Sea pleeeeease read this now.

message 9: by Vivian (new)

Vivian Bitch

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ I've read it. The review is being held hostage by the powers that be on the blaghz. I really liked it though. Not perfect but I good read nonetheless.

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ Nobody likes a pill Viv. :p

message 12: by Vivian (new)

Vivian FU
o||oo

Hahaaha... trying to psyche myself up for a 40 minute bike ride.

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme Okay, I've had it on my Kindle for a while. I am going to try to read it this weekend. I'll be in the hospice with my grandmother, praying she passes in peace.

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ Vivian wrote: "FU
o||oo

Hahaaha... trying to psyche myself up for a 40 minute bike ride."

Super classy.

(view spoiler)

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ ♆ BookAddict wrote: "Okay, I've had it on my Kindle for a while. I am going to try to read it this weekend. I'll be in the hospice with my grandmother, praying she passes in peace."

My thoughts will be with you & your grandmother, BA. ((hugs))

Emma Sea ♆ BookAddict wrote: "Okay, I've had it on my Kindle for a while. I am going to try to read it this weekend. I'll be in the hospice with my grandmother, praying she passes in peace."

hospice is a good place. I'm happy she has you to sit with her. My thoughts are with you both.

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme Thanks optimist and Emma! :)

Karma♥Bites ^.~ Vivian wrote: "FU
o||oo

Hahaaha... trying to psyche myself up for a 40 minute bike ride."

Oy... :)

Karma♥Bites ^.~ ♆ BookAddict wrote: "Okay, I've had it on my Kindle for a while. I am going to try to read it this weekend. I'll be in the hospice with my grandmother, praying she passes in peace."

:( Adding to Wench's earlier one... {{{HUG}}}

message 20: by Vivian (new)

Vivian ♆ BookAddict wrote: "Okay, I've had it on my Kindle for a while. I am going to try to read it this weekend. I'll be in the hospice with my grandmother, praying she passes in peace."

My thoughts are with you.

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme @ Karma and Vivian ~ thanks. *muah*

message 22: by Vivian (new)

Vivian About time, bitch.

message 23: by Vivian (new)

Vivian Nice. Me likey the sound of this one. *rubs hands together*

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ Well… if I could've posted it sooner I would've, but I'm just a worker bee in the machine.

message 25: by Vivian (new)

Vivian *Pets fuzz*
Your arc was taunting me, worker bee.

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ *hums*
*looks for flowers to make sweet honey for you*

I know it was. I have no self control.

message 27: by Vivian (new)

Vivian I just bought some King's Spears, come pollinate.

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ I am. Look outside. O___O

message 29: by Vivian (new)

Vivian LOL. Good one. UNCLE!

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme I liked your review! Is it wrong that (view spoiler)

Emma Sea ^^ everything in your spoiler
The scene in the back of the van? I had to take a personal moment.

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme Emma Sea wrote: "^^ everything in your spoiler
The scene in the back of the van? I had to take a personal moment."

lol - did you see my review? I kind of mention I wanted it more depraved.

As for the scene in the back of the van - hawt! And I wish it were longer... Seriously, so many ways to violate and well, it's all just a little foreplay, non?

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ ♆ BookAddict wrote: "I liked your review! Is it wrong that I wanted MORE scenes about Mr. Lowell abusing both Tate and Aaron? hehehee. I didn't think it was dark enough. I'm like, that's it? We get just that one ..."

LOL! Oh, I ❤ you so. I would expect nothing less from you but depravity. :D

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ wrote: "
LOL! Oh, I ❤ you so. I would expect nothing less from you but depravity. :D

Yes, I would've liked some more scenes in that vein, but I can't in all honesty say I was expecting it from these two, though I've not read King of Dublin or Another Man's Treasure. I could be underestimating them, but I liked the diabolical nature of things not being what they seemed in this version of Pleasantville. I completely agree that it felt a bit rushed, but I still found it enjoyable. "

I thought it was more like Stepford wives and Clockwork Orange...

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ I tried to watch Clockwork Orange once & my bestie vetoed that with the opening music. I'm sort of a wimp anyways so it, in all likelihood, would've given me nightmares. Stepford Wives, ya-uh. Absolutely. Buncha whackadoodles in Beulah. You know what would be great? If they did a follow up with Aaron where his girlfriend (I forget her name) turns domme. Maybe add another dude because he now craves a man's touch as much as he hates himself for it.

Yummers. *eyebrow waggle*

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ wrote: "I tried to watch Clockwork Orange once & my bestie vetoed that with the opening music. I'm sort of a wimp anyways so it, in all likelihood, would've given me nightmares. Stepford Wives, ya-uh. Absolutely. Buncha whackadoodles in Beulah. You know what would be great? If they did a follow up with Aaron where his girlfriend (I forget her name) turns domme. Maybe add another dude because he now craves a man's touch as much as he hates himself for it.

Yummers. *eyebrow waggle* "

Ooh oh oh, I like where you are going with this one! And if the dude is a doctor, all the better! hehehee.

And every once in a while he gets loaned out to Tate and Rory! *runs around excitedly*

So, Clockwork Orange... it was an interesting movie. Then I borrowed the book and read it. It was a hard book to completely comprehend as a 15 year old. Yeah, I watched the movie and read the book when I was a minor. One of my friends was studying it in college. It was for some junior lit class he was taking. Needless to say, this raised a few of my high school teacher's eyebrows. :/

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ You wouldn't be you if you weren't known to break a few rules. I appreciate this quality. High school teachers can be myopic. Besides, you're like running an empire now so who's got pie on their face, huh?

I don't guess I realized you liked medical kink so much. You should read The Arroyo. Medical kink, dystopian, depraved, awesome, BA. Totally BA! And free!

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ wrote: "You wouldn't be you if you weren't known to break a few rules. I appreciate this quality. High school teachers can be myopic. Besides, you're like running an empire now so who's got pie on their fa..."

*rushes to find it*

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ It might not be depraved enough for you but I think you'll still like it. Maybe.

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ wrote: "It might not be depraved enough for you but I think you'll still like it. Maybe."

I see Pen said no to reading it. Something about giving her nightmares. I've yet to read a book that gives me nightmares any worse than the ones I usually have. And... I don't watch horror flicks.

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ Not nightmare inducing for me. Maybe some feels. It is graphic in some places but I thought it was apropos for the characters.

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ wrote: "Not nightmare inducing for me. Maybe some feels. It is graphic in some places but I thought it was apropos for the characters."

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ wrote: "Who's Pen?"

Oh, I thought you were friends with Penumbra too. She was on my list of friends who have it shelved. :)

I can't wait to read it then. Graphic, body modification, rape...hmmm all for my titillation.

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ I'll eagerly anticipate your verdict. :)

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ wrote: "I'll eagerly anticipate your verdict. :)"

I'm waiting until my vibrator is charged back up...

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ LOL! Like I said in my review, medical kink doesn't do much for me but the throat thing was hot. Really hot.

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ wrote: "LOL! Like I said in my review, medical kink doesn't do much for me but the throat thing was hot. Really hot."

O_O ....TGIF

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ Like you need it to be Friday. *snort*

Jaime Oh, your review sold me!!! I am getting this bad boy!!

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ Jaime wrote: "Oh, your review sold me!!! I am getting this bad boy!!"

You're on a dark kick, I noticed so this should fit right in. Enjoy!

« previous 1