Alicia Batista (Addicted Readers)'s Reviews > Illusions of Fate

Illusions of Fate by Kiersten White

4 Stars

ILLUSIONS OF FATE is a magically enchanting, highly emotional, and beautifully written. With a spiraling world of ups and downs, that will have you swaying with the need for more.

With it's highly complex characters, to it's richly dramatic world, and it's sweeping magical undertow, it's made for a thrilling adventure that will keep you on your toes until the very end.

I was hooked from the beginning of ILLUSIONS OF FATE . It was something about this book that instantly drew me in. But I noticed as the plot progressed, I started to find myself not as attached as I was in the earlier chapters. And while I still really enjoyed ILLUSIONS OF FATE , and would definitely recommended it, it just felt like it was lacking that special something in some areas.

One being that it felt rushed. At a mere 275 pages in a physical ARC, it could of been longer , it needed to be longer. The world building was fascinating, I loved the different magical groups and the mythological background. But it was not explored and revealed as much as it could should of been. And the ending ended to abruptly. Seriously, one chapter there's the big scene that we've all been waiting for. Then the next, bam... it's over, no closure, not really anyway, well not enough for my taste. But if there is going to be a sequel, then it wouldn't be as bad. But I've heard rumors that there will not be a sequel. And if that is the case, then that's terrible, because A LOT is left unsaid and unrevealed. I just felt the author could of easily added 100 pages on and made the story more complex with a deeper route into the background and wrapped up the ending in a more drawn-out satisfying way.

THE PLOT

Jessamin left her home island of Melei to go to one of the best schools in the upper class country of Albion. But as Jessa starts to get into her normal routine in a new country, her world is thrown up into a chaotic uproar. Jessa has just been opened into a new world....of magic.

“I did my best to keep you from crossing paths with this world. And I shall do my best to protect you now that you have.”

When Jessa meets the enticing and dangerously alluring young Lord, Finn Ackerly, she is quickly swept into a magical world known only to the nobility. Jessa can't help but feel drawn to the attractively charming lord, but knows that something is different when she is around him. She's never known magic existed, let alone is the backbone to the nobles existence. But when it becomes clear that magic is in fact real, and it's not going away, she will have to decide what, and ultimately who is worth fighting for.

There is a deadly game being played by two very powerful lords, and Jessa just so happens to be dead smack in the middle of it all! She's become their pawn piece in their vicious game of magical war, and if Jessa wants to save the ones she's come to love, then she has no choice but to follow through and be the pawn in their vicious game of tug a war.

With no other options, Jessa will have to use every ally she has made to dig herself out of the mess she's been pulled into to beat the evil Minister of Defense, Lord Downpike at his own game. Because if she fails, not only the ones she's come to love, but also her home island will pay the ultimate price.

Overall, ILLUSIONS OF FATE was a quick, lighthearted, read, with thrilling characters that were entertaining and magical. I really enjoyed ILLUSIONS OF FATE , even with it's unrevealed secrets that I'm dying to know. It still was a great read and I would definitely recommend it.

NOTE: I received a physical ARC from HarperTeen for reviewing purposes! All opinions expressed are my own and are not influenced in any way!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Illusions of Fate.

March 11, 2014 – Shelved
July 5, 2014 – Shelved as: print-arc-owned
July 5, 2014 – Shelved as: young-adult
August 24, 2014 –
page 20
7.19% "A.D.D.I.C.T.I.N.G\n \n I LOVED THIS ALREADY..."
August 28, 2014 –
page 93
33.45% "Ooh, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!! But... I'm still pleasantly happy to watch it all play out! I'm HIGHLY enjoy this book so far!"
September 1, 2014 – Started Reading
September 2, 2014 –
page 150
53.96% "Finally, after my long weekend of NO reading, I can get back into this world..."
September 4, 2014 –
page 215
77.34% "This has a funny way of keeping my interest, yet not keeping it. If that makes any sense?"
September 5, 2014 –
page 257
92.45% "Oh, wow, I didn't see that particular angle coming! Though I know it was shaky and something was up, BUT NOT THAT!!!! WOW!! I love being surprised!!"
September 5, 2014 – Shelved as: adventure
September 5, 2014 – Shelved as: powers
September 5, 2014 – Shelved as: quick-read
September 5, 2014 – Shelved as: romance
September 5, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

Meetta Have you finished it yet? I enjoyed it, but felt the ending could have been a bit longer...too rushed.

Alicia Batista (Addicted Readers) Moretta (Meetta) wrote: "Have you finished it yet? I enjoyed it, but felt the ending could have been a bit longer...too rushed."

Not yet, I'm about 3 quarters of the way through, so I can really say how I feel about the ending yet. I like it so far, but...it feels like something is missing from it. I'm not sure what, but something is...lol!

Meetta You'll have to let me know what you think. I loved Sir Bird...and the interactions between him and Finn lol. Definite twist at the end that I didn't see coming!

Alicia Batista (Addicted Readers) Moretta (Meetta) wrote: "You'll have to let me know what you think. I loved Sir Bird...and the interactions between him and Finn lol. Definite twist at the end that I didn't see coming!"

YES, I love Sir Bird too and how protective he is with Jessamin! And I get a kick out of Sir Bird & Finn's interaction!!

Now you got me contemplating what's to come at the end!! I'll be sure and let you know what I think when I'm done! :)

Alicia Batista (Addicted Readers) Meetta (Moretta) wrote: "You'll have to let me know what you think. I loved Sir Bird...and the interactions between him and Finn lol. Definite twist at the end that I didn't see coming!"

Just finished it, and I really enjoyed the story a lot. But like you said, the ending was way to rushed. It was only 275 pages, and White could of flushed out the ending and easily made the story 300+ pages with more depth to the ending. But overall, it was a very enjoyable read, and I REALLY hope there will be a sequel, as there is a lot that was left unsaid! I'll probably rate it 4 stars too! :)

Meetta Glad you enjoyed it. It wasn't what I was expecting, but I was pleasantly surprised lol. It would be nice if there is going to be a sequel as I want to know what happens to Finn and Jessamin. I haven't heard back from the author yet. Usually I don't hear back from authors until around 2 weeks (I'm glad that the ones I've contacted so far have responded back to me). I'm reading this one book called Captive. Not my usual genre, but it's pretty intriguing. It's kind of in the same genre as Divergent.

Meetta It was quite a surprising twist at the end, wasn't it? lol