Julie's Reviews > Running with Scissors

Feb 02, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: read-in-2010, memoir
Read from February 02 to 04, 2010

** spoiler alert ** As I was reading this book, I got the feeling that the only point of it was to be as crazy and shocking as possible. That's ok if you like that sort of thing, but apparently I don't. There's not much there other than one crazy, and often gross, event after another and the other people in the book come across as nothing but complete wackos. It was getting to be a bit much for me and I thought it made it rather hard to believe as a memoir. I am a little over halfway though the book and if I finish it, it will be because of curiosity, not because I think its all that good. Or maybe I'll just throw it across the room.

UPDATE:
I did finally finish this book. Although the second half was a bit easier to read (no more potty humor and no more attempts at making statuatory rape funny), I still can't say I got anything positive out of the book. I was glad to find out in the notes at the end of the book that Dr. Finch eventually lost his license to practice!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Running with Scissors.

02/02/2010 page 1