Nicholas Armstrong's Reviews > The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings

The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings by Edgar Allan Poe

You know, I'm pretty sure most people like this (and Poe) for the kind of creepy slightly Gothic effect, but I think that is a very superficial and silly way to read it. The beating of the heart has absolutely nothing to do with redemption, nothing to do with guilt or anything, it has to do with the futility of existence. Read the story again and think of the mentions of heartbeat and pulse and think of the unreliability of the narrator.

It's not the pulse of the man he kills and it isn't the beating of the mans heart - its his heart and pulse.

Considering this is Poe's most famous work (discounting Raven) I'm a little depressed that it is so often read as just macabre and nothing more. I don't love Poe, but I love what he attempted to do. He makes narrators who try to convince you of one thing while he, as the author, has to try and convince you of the truth. It's really quite amazing to try and piece together each puzzle and see how good a job Poe actually did. Furthermore, it makes sense when one considers that Poe is the father of the detective novel. Oooooooooh! Right? See, it makes sense now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings.

Started Reading