JenMcJ's Reviews > Keeping Promise Rock

Keeping Promise Rock by Amy Lane

Feb 01, 2010

bookshelves: e-books, mm-mmm-a-few-mmf-too, z-5-star-reads

I don't think this book needs another full length review. All the others should be enough to convince you this is stellar book that is a no brainer to pick up and read. Even the 1 star review where the reader gave up on the book has some legitimate points. I think she gave up too soon and missed out on an amazing read, but yeah, in the interest of snake tolerance a little less description into the snake killing wouldn't have been amiss. However, that's missing the forest for the trees and I am sad for that reader that didn't stick it through to the amazing end.

It's a long book, full of emotional ups and downs. The only thing I will say that I don't think the other reviews have said is that I am awed by Amy Lane's ability to make these too very manly, flawed and prideful men so damn romantic and endearing in the way they talk to each other. She did it without making them saccharine, unrealistic, eye-rollable or ridiculous. That is an amazing success. I can’t get over how well she wrote their emotions out of their mouths and through their twitter account. That’s not to say the communication skills were all that great but damn, when they said it, they said it right.

I assume we are going to get Jeff's story and be able to revisit the whole family again. And Jeff is just the kind of character that is so rare but is so fascinating to read about too. My fingers are crossed for that story next.

ETA: From the authors blog:
Yes. There will be three sequels. Making Promises will be about Shane and Mikhail, Living Promises will be about Jeff and Collin, and Return To Promise Rock will see the final HEA of all the characters, including a wrap up of Benny and Drew (which I can't go too much into, because people get upset when there's girl cooties in their m/m, but we really need to see them happy too.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Keeping Promise Rock.

February 1, 2010 – Shelved
February 1, 2010 – Shelved as: e-books
February 1, 2010 – Shelved as: mm-mmm-a-few-mmf-too
February 13, 2010 – Started Reading
February 13, 2010 –
0.0% "not even half way through and this book has me crying.."
February 13, 2010 –
0.0% "dang book is turning me into a total water works but in the good way that books that touch you do that"
Finished Reading
July 1, 2010 – Shelved as: z-5-star-reads

Nichole (DirrtyH) Great review, Jen! I'm a little bit wary of Amy Lane, so I haven't been sure whether or not I'd like this but I trust you so I added it to my "after the moratorium" list! I'll buy it as soon as I finish that 100 book list I'm chipping away at...

JenMcJ I would say this one will go on my best of 2010 list. But be warned, there is not a lot of sex in this book. But when it crops up, it's well written.

message 3: by M. (new)

M. Aedin I think the snake commenter missed the point that they're running a horse ranch, and very little is as dangerous to horses as snakes are. As much as I love snakes -- and I do -- it's one of those survival things. (And I love horses more, so.)

JenMcJ I think she did miss the focus but frankly there is a lot of snake killing in this book and it's not just on the ranch. They kill snakes in Iraq too and in great detail in both places. I am sure that a little judicial editing in this respect would not have changed the plot of book.

But I don't want to miss the forest by dwelling on that. I meant just that all the written reviews have good points.

Popcorn Jen brilliant review! I tottlly loved this book (I didn't mind the snake killing!) I am extremely happy to read about the sequels and I totally shocked myself when I realised that I will be reading Benny and Drew's story and quite happly too! I can't wait to see how they get on!

ElaineY Looks like I need to get this! Thanks for the reviews and comments.

Brie Until I read your review, I hadn't realized how much snake killing there was in this book, but you're right, there was a lot of it!

JenMcJ Barry wrote: "I keep meaning to read this book, but for some reason I never get to it."

It's a good read. I think the series loses a bit of steam along the way, but this was a great beginning.

Mary I noticed that the third book was published 2 years ago. Do you know if she's still planning a fourth one?