Christina Marie's Reviews > Wallflower

Wallflower by Heidi Belleau

So, I loved Wallflower. That love can pretty much entirely be attributed to Rob.

I’ve said it before, but I love Heidi Belleau’s characters. The way she handles character growth is AMAZING. I find her characters to be so realistic. They are conflicted, they delude themselves, and they don’t always posses high levels of self-awareness. But they grow, they confront their inner turmoil, and eventually it leads to these enormously satisfying, epiphany-like moments. I don’t know how else to explain it. But that moment where everything just comes together, it’s perfection. Now, all that’s not to say that these characters are always likeable. In fact, that’s probably why I find them so relatable. They aren’t perfect. They are real.

I personally found Rob likeable. No, I lied. I found him downright loveable. Although, I’m sure that won’t be the case for everyone. In the beginning he is socially awkward, has low self-esteem, and goes through life feeling (or making himself) invisible. I really liked the way his character development progresses in the book. I feel like there was a painstaking amount of attention paid to the little details. The way he works through everything, figures out his identity, and gets to the point where he is finally happy with himself is truly well done.

Dylan was equally great. Although, I didn’t feel like I got to know him as well as Rob. That is largely due to the fact that the book is told from Rob’s POV. I did feel that parts of their romance were a bit rushed. Not the initial getting together, but the falling in love. I just didn’t feel like they knew enough about each other, or that they were at the point where they would realistically be in love. I just didn’t buy it. It felt similar to when I was in high school and a friend would tell me that they fell in love over the weekend (I remained skeptical, but grudgingly open to the idea there was a chance, the slightest, wafer-thin possibility that things would work out). It is entirely possible that this is what I was supposed to feel. Because it is realistic in the sense that Rob and Dylan are young, in lust, filled with feelz, and declarations naturally follow.

This book deals with so much (sexism, homophobia, gender, sexuality, racism in various forms, and I’m sure I’m forgetting something). I’m a little in awe of just how much and how gracefully it’s all worked into the plot.

Wallflower is thought-provoking and wonderfully written. It’s going straight to my favorites pile, and I can’t wait to read the next one!

*ARC courtesy of Riptide Publishing via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

4 Stars