Elizabeth's Reviews > Legends

Legends by Robert Silverberg

bookshelves: a-song-of-ice-and-fire, fantasy

Disclaimer: I only read the GRRM Dunk & Egg novella, and that is what my review is for. I had no interest in reading the rest of the short stories, as they all seemed to belong to existing series rather than being stand-alone tales, and I always find myself mostly lost when reading those sorts of stories.

I picked up this story with some trepidation, because I have mixed feelings about GRRM’s writing. I loved the first three ASOIAF novels, but reading the last two brought back feelings of being in high school and reading for assignment rather than pleasure.

I am happy to report that “The Hedge Knight” is similar to the first three books. It’s an interesting story that moves along with just the right amount of detail (one of my complaints about the later books is that the level of detail is just too much, to the point where the story slows down and gets boring). The characters are well-developed and amusing, and I definitely felt a sense of loss at the end when people started dying (and if you think it’s a spoiler to say that someone dies, you obviously haven’t read a lot of ASOIAF).

I finished this novella eager to pick up the next one and see where Dunk & Egg go next, which I consider to be the mark of a good story.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Legends.

March 9, 2014 – Started Reading