Swankivy's Reviews > The Cracks in the Kingdom

The Cracks in the Kingdom by Jaclyn Moriarty

Aug 09, 2017

This sequel to A Corner of White did not disappoint--a great continuation of the previous story featuring one girl's connection with a boy in an alternate world, where said boy is trying to help a princess recover her family, putting his own search for his father on the back burner.

As usual with this author, the unexpectedly artful turns of phrase sometimes just jump off of the page and surprise you with their poignancy, and the parallels between Madeleine, Elliot, and Ko all missing family members are really quite compelling. I loved the dynamic of the Royal Youth Alliance and how they got along (and didn't), how each of their special skills and weaknesses contributed, and especially the relationship between Elliot and Madeleine. The relationships people have in Moriarty's work are always so realistic-feeling--they always have multiple levels to them, and they don't feel cheap or one-note. They're very much like the relationships between real people, and they fluctuate like real people's do, without feeling like they're doing it just to do it.

The trip to the Lake of Spells was memorable. I loved how they argued with the locator spell, fishing it out like that, and how the environment was so unique in that place, and how they described the spells like living things. And Elliot had to watch Ko use that locator spell after he had wanted to use one like it to find his father for so long.

The Occasional Pilot folklore was really cool too, and I liked how not-predictable it was. This author's stories never go to the places they're "set up" to go.

I love how it keeps you guessing, and brings enchantment even into the ordinary world, and how a relatively epic plot is made so personal. I hope the author keeps writing fantasy. I'm ready to read the next one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cracks in the Kingdom.

March 8, 2014 – Shelved