Lisa's Reviews > Odinn's Child

Odinn's Child by Tim Severin

Jan 31, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: 2010, fantasy, gods-and-monsters, myths-and-legends, bollocks, into-the-mud
Read from June 16 to 19, 2010

A dull, unimaginative and overly simplistic offering - something of a surprise given the title.

While trying to impart a lot of information about the times in which it's set, it completely fails to place you inside the story, with way too much tell and not enough show, and instead reads a little like a child's holiday diary: "I met a man, he taught me about the Old Ways, then I had to leave."

Although Thorgils (our 'hero') is apparently the son of Leif Eriksson, this is only really given lip service, as is every other character and situation within. Even a love affair described as having a profound effect on our hero's life only takes a couple of pages to get through.

For such a flimsy book, it took me forever to get through, mostly as I would rather have been doing anything other than reading this. The only good thing it had going for it was it's depiction of Christianity; a new religion that's taken elements of older faiths and tarted them up in new clothes, brought to people at the point of a sword, demanding taxes from those who can't afford them and being administered mostly by vicious, merciless bastards. Even this couldn't save it from it's ultimate fate however - it's been left behind in Empangeni for some other unlucky traveller to find.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Odinn's Child.