Anna's Reviews > Night

Night by Elie Wiesel

Apr 25, 2007

liked it
bookshelves: fiction

Here's my caveat: although I think Night is very well written, and therefor rated it as such, I need to note that I believe that its author is one of the great current enemies of the Jewish people. Why? Because he tries to feed us profane and immoral answers (support the zionist agenda no matter what, embrace Israel as a fictive "Jewish homeland", condone a genocidal agenda toward the Palestinian people) in response to a series of sacred and enduring questions (as a Jewish people, what is our place in the world? how do we respond authentically to tragedy--our own, and that of others? how might we leverage the wisdom of our ancient traditions into meaningful modern contributions?). Feh. He makes me sick.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night.

Finished Reading
April 25, 2007 – Shelved
April 25, 2007 – Shelved as: fiction

Comments (showing 1-7)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Joanie Don't turn a book review into your own political rant.

Hourriya Well said Anna. I had to write a review for a theology course, that I was forced to take. Human suffering, God, grace, faith...yada yada yada! Knowing the state of the Palestinian people made me question Wiesel's zionist agenda. I mean, how many times did he speak of zionism? Enough to make me realize that his point in writing this book was almost an apology for his pseudo-religious beliefs. Then there is the fact that he rarely mentioned the others that perished, as if it were only Jews!

message 5: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Gordon you make me sick, you should honestly be ashamed of yourselves. how dare you use the story of this man to attack the Jewish homeland. have you learnt nothing by reading this book.

message 4: by Barbara (last edited Mar 06, 2013 02:29PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Barbara You're not rating a man, you're rating this book.

message 3: by Bill (new)

Bill Sweet Nice ad hominem attack that has nothing to do with the book. And putting yourself in his shoes, don't you think he'd find the idea of a Jewish state appealing?

Marie Schembri santiago You put this book under fiction in your shelves? Does this mean you think it's not a true account? Also, I think it's kind of shameful to use this forum as a place for political rants!

Anthony Marchetta "Human suffering, God, grace, yada yada yada!"

Because the important thing we're supposed to get out of true accounts of life in a concentration camp (I haven't read it in awhile - was it a death camp?) isn't supposed to be philosophical musings about God, grace, the nature of man or the meaning of life. Blah blah blah, right? The important thing is, HE'S ZIONIST!!!!

Anna, both you and Houriyya should be ashamed of yourselves. Judge the book. Leave your personal opinions of the author for another time.