Sandy Nawrot's Reviews > Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan

Mar 07, 2014

bookshelves: audio

This was an adorable (but a tiny bit complicated) little book. If "Ready Player One" was the ultimate read for the 80's geek, then this is the ultimate read for the Gen Y bibliophiles. It is clever and modern, with snappy, quippy references to the tech-loving, Google-fied world that we live in today. At the same time, it takes a 500 year-old secret society whose sole purpose is to solve an ancient puzzle involving books and the printing industry. You can't help but love the rag-tag group of characters that assemble here...our hapless ex-web designer Clay (narrated in his first person voice), his artist friend and roommate, his BFF from his school days and now self-made millionaire, his Google-employed girlfriend, and all the doddering customers of Mr. Penumbra's bookstore...all adorable geeks passionate about their craft. There is plenty of adventure, puzzle solving and brain power...almost to the point where sometimes I didn't know exactly what was going on, but whatever. I went along for the ride. It was fun, and cute. Not quite as mind-blowing as "Ready Player One", but cute. Who doesn't love a book about books, after all?

The audio was narrated in spectacular form by Ari Fliakos. He was perfectly cast here. He sounded young, likeable, a little unsure of himself but completely Gen Y cool. He took a fun book and made it even better. Don't miss his performance if you like audios.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore.

March 7, 2014 – Started Reading