Toni's Reviews > Attachments

Attachments by Rainbow Rowell

F 50x66

bookshelves: read-in-2015

4 1/2

“So, what if, instead of thinking about solving you whole life, you just think about adding additional good things. One at a time. Just let your pile of good things grow.”

Rainbow Rowell is a fantastic contemporary author. Her books capture that essence of realness, without being depressing. Her characters are relatable without being similar.

It's 1999. Computers are still new, unpredictable machines. Lincoln works in internet security. He reads e-mails. In his defense, he didn't know about that before he got the job. Lincoln's life is otherwise not the best either. He has moved back home, he wasn't in a serious relationship since his first love ended badly and he hates his job. It seems like he's going nowhere.
But then he starts reading e-mails of two women that despite knowing about the "e-mail guy" decide to risk it. It starts of as a way to distract himself, and of course because that's his job. After a while though, he starts to care. And fall in love.

Despite the blurb that makes it sound like a chick-lit, it's not really. At least it doesn't feel like one. The main plot of the book is actually Lincoln's life getting back on track and finally starting to move somewhere.

Rainbow Rowell's characters come in all shapes and personality traits. They have negative and positive characteristics but they are all still so loveable. There are no stereotypes. There's a helpful party boy. A career driven ex. A guy who cares but doesn't want to care too much. None of the characters is blank. I want to hug and fuss over every single one of them.

The writing is simply lovely. It's detailed but not too detailed. It's so warm and- if I can describe writing like this- homey. I wanted to stay in it forever.

The one only thing that I thought was a bit more meh was the romance. I didn't get a feeling of a very strong connection. It was clear that Lincoln liked the girl but I didn't quite see when he started liking her that much. Also I would prefer if something happened between them before the very end. It made the ending seem too rushed.

“I want someone whose heart is big enough to hold me.”

In short, another lovely book by Rainbow Rowell.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Attachments.

Quotes Toni Liked

Rainbow Rowell
“Every woman wants a man who'll fall in love with her soul as well as her body.”

Rainbow Rowell
“There are moments when you can't believe something wonderful is happening. And there are moments when your entire consciousness is filled with knowing absolutely that something wonderful is happening.”

Rainbow Rowell
“I want someone whose heart is big enough to hold me.”

Rainbow Rowell
“I didn't know love could leave the lights on all the time.”
tags: love

Rainbow Rowell
“He knew why he wanted to kiss her. Because she was beautiful. And before that, because she was kind. And before that, because she was smart and funny. Because she was exactly the right kind of smart and funny. Because he could imagine taking a long trip with her without ever getting bored. Because whenever he saw something new and interesting, or new and ridiculous, he always wondered what she'd have to say about it--how many stars she'd give it and why.”

Rainbow Rowell
“I didn't know someone could love me like this," she said. "Could love me and love me and love me without...needing space."
Lincoln wasn't asleep. He rolled on top of her.
"There's no air in space," he said.”

Rainbow Rowell
“I believe that worrying about a bad thing prepares you for it when it comes. If you worry, the bad thing doesn't hit you as hard. You can roll with the punch if you see it coming.”

Rainbow Rowell
“I don't know if I even believe in that anymore. The right guy. The perfect guy. The one. I've lost faith in "the".
How do you feel about "a" and "an"?
Indifferent.
So you're considering a life without articles?”

Rainbow Rowell
“What did he have to mope about, really? What more did he want?...Love. Purpose. Those are the things that you can't plan for. Those are the things that just happen. And what if they don't happen? Do you spend your whole life pining for them? Waiting to be happy?”

Rainbow Rowell
“He never hurries. He never shows his cards. He always hangs up first....Like when we first started talking on the phone, he would always be the one who got off first. When we kissed, he always pulled away first. He always kept me just on the edge of crazy. Feeling like I wanted him too much, which just made me want him more....[It was] excruciating and wonderful. It feels good to want something that bad. I thought about him the way you think about dinner when you haven't eaten for a day and a half. Like you'd sell your soul for it.”

Rainbow Rowell
“Do you feel like he ignores you?"

"No. I feel like he doesn't see me.”

Rainbow Rowell
“The strange thing about seeing someone for first time in nine years is the way they look totally different, just for a second, a split second, and then they look at you the way they always have, as if no time has passed between you.”

Rainbow Rowell
“I know that people change. I thought ... I thought we're going to change together. I thought that's what it meant to be in love.”

Rainbow Rowell
“It's nice of you to say I'm your best friend."

"You are my best friend, dummy."

"Really? You are my best friend. But I always assumed that somebody else was your best friend, and I was totally okay with that. You don't have to say that I'm your best friend just to make me feel good."

"You're so lame."

"That's why I figured somebody else was your best friend.”

Rainbow Rowell
“There's never been a moment," he barely said, "when I didn't recognize you."
She wiped her eyes. Her mascara smeared. He nudged the merry-to-round into motion. He could kiss her now. If he wanted.
"I'd know you in the dark," he said. "From a thousand miles away. There's nothing you could become that I haven't already fallen in love with."
He could kiss her.
"I know you," he said.”

Rainbow Rowell
“Wasn’t hitting bottom the thing you had to do to knock some sense into yourself? Wasn’t hitting bottom the thing that showed you which way was up?”

March 7, 2014 – Shelved
January 16, 2015 –
page 1
0.28% "I absolutely loved Fangirl so I'm over the moon for this one *happy dance*."
January 17, 2015 – Started Reading
January 18, 2015 –
page 160
44.82% "Again I fell in love with Rainbow's characters. They just feel so realistic and adorable and it feels like I could hold them in my hand."
January 25, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

message 1: by G (new) - rated it 4 stars

G FEELS. DA FEELS.

Toni Gi wrote: "FEELS. DA FEELS."

YEES

message 3: by Kathe (new)

Kathe L great review, Anna! I don't know if I'll give this one a try because I didn't loveee Eleanor & Park. But your review made me curious!

Sarah Great review, Anna! Think I'll pick up Fangirl first since I own it, but her adult books sound just as good. Glad you liked it. ^^

Toni Kathe wrote: "great review, Anna! I don't know if I'll give this one a try because I didn't loveee Eleanor & Park. But your review made me curious!"

I haven't read Eleanor & Park yet so I wouldn't know. But Thank you,, Kathe :D!

Toni Sarah wrote: "Great review, Anna! Think I'll pick up Fangirl first since I own it, but her adult books sound just as good. Glad you liked it. ^^"

Thanks Sarah! I loved Fangirl so I hope you enyoy it too. I loved this one a bit less but it was still fantastic.

message 7: by isabelle (new) - added it

isabelle Awww, sounds fabulous. Fantastic review, Anna! I can't wait to read this. :)

Toni Isabelle wrote: "Awww, sounds fabulous. Fantastic review, Anna! I can't wait to read this. :)"

Thank you! I do hope you like it :D.

Aj the Ravenous Reader Wonderful review, Anna. I don't why I haven't read this yet but I'll remember this when I'm looking for something homey and lovely.<3

message 10: by Toni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Toni Aj the Ravenous Reader wrote: "Wonderful review, Anna. I don't why I haven't read this yet but I'll remember this when I'm looking for something homey and lovely.<3"

Thank you, Aj! :)