Paige's Reviews > Locomotion

Locomotion by Jacqueline Woodson

bookshelves: poetry

Locomotion by Jacqueline Woodson is the story of Lonnie, nicknamed Locomotion, an eleven year old boy who has been living with Miss Edna, his foster mom since his parents passed away in a fire when he was seven. He is learning how to express his feelings through poetry, which he is working on in class with his teacher Ms. Marcus. His younger sister lives in another foster home and they see each other occasionally.

This is the first time I've read such a long story written through a series of poems. The fact that the poems are written from Lonnie's perspective gives the reader so much more insight into his thoughts and feelings. Because poems are meant to express and evoke feeling and the subject matter, losing your parents and being separated from your sister, is so emotional, this book of poems is very powerful. I really enjoyed it.

I would use this book as a way to inspire students to write their own poetry. Because Lonnie is such a likable character and the various themes of the story are easy to relate to, I would think that students would be inspired to write their own poems about their own lives. If I were teaching poetry in writing, I would read this story in reading as a cross-curricular connection.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Locomotion.

Finished Reading