Michelle's Reviews > Sex and the Single Vamp

Sex and the Single Vamp by Robin Covington

Reunited After 200 Years. A Blessing or a Curse?

Robin Covington’s paranormal debut was a hit! I was a fan of her books – the Boys are Back in Town series (A Night of Southern Comfort, His Southern Temptation, Sweet Southern Betrayal) and Playing the Part. Even though I was on a self-imposed “vampire strike,” avoiding all vampire books after many years of devouring them, I decided to read Sex and the Single Vamp with an open mind. I received a complimentary copy of Sex and the Single Vamp, and was not disappointed!

I already knew Ms. Covington had purposefully taken a new direction with this book. Both main characters, Felicity “Cici” Trent and Thomas Samuel Deacon (aka. Deacon) were vampires at the beginning of the story. Over two hundred years after their first meeting, Cici sought out Deacon’s help because someone was sabotaging her business. Deacon agreed to help her, if she spent a night in his bed.

Suspense-filled reunion. Check.
Two-hundred-year-old unrequited feelings. Check.
Layers of lies, secrets and mistrust. Check.
Smoking hot and poignant sex. Check.

Deacon may be Ms. Covington’s most tortured hero. This was no easy feat, as several of her alpha men are former/active duty military with layers of sublimated pain. Deacon balanced a dichotomy between the sexy, honorable soldier and a ruthless vampire killer, which made him an alpha hero we rooted for more and more as the story developed. At the same time, Cici faced her fears, acted on her desires and embraced her true power. Midway through the action, Ms. Covington provided an interesting plot twist that forced this well-matched pair to revisit two-hundred years of pain and unanswered questions.

Ms. Covington’s talent for subtly tackling themes of discrimination and loss were integral parts of the story. Her secondary characters, Mya and Andy are the voices of reason; adding comic relief and the swift kick in the pants that Cici and Deacon needed to open up their hearts to each other. The suspense built, as we learned more about her diverse world of Others and their human counterparts. I hope she writes Andy, Mya and Ramirez’s stories in the future.

I highly recommend Sex and the Single Vamp, as a sensually, pleasant departure from the typical vampire tale.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sex and the Single Vamp.

March 7, 2014 – Shelved