Anne's Reviews > The Forever Song

The Forever Song by Julie Kagawa

1720620

bookshelves: arc, netgalley, read-in-2014, dystopian, paranormal, urban-fantasy, mature-ya

If you've been following these books, then I think you'll be happy with the final installment. It's a good solid ending to the Blood of Eden trilogy.

Warning: Spoilers for the previous books on the way!

It keeps the theme of the other books, in that vampires are not cuddly or misunderstood.
Allie has been struggling to keep her humanity throughout the first two books, and with the help of her mentor Kanin, she's managed to keep from sucking people dry. Of course, it helped that she was in love with a human.
At the end of the last book, Sarren had captured Zeke, and left a video of Zeke being tortured to death just to screw with her. So it was no real surprise that when the story opens, Allie has gone a little off the deep end. She's still determined to stop Sarren from unleashing the virus that will wipe everyone off of the planet, but she's now on board with Jackal's version of how a vampire should act.
Chomp, chomp, chompin' on the humans...

Unfortunately, I can't say much else without giving major spoilers.
I can say that I was totally expecting most of what happened to, um...happen? But it didn't all play out exactly the way I thought it would.

My only complaint would be that I did occasionally get a tad annoyed by Allie's somewhat dry and crunchy inner thoughts. Sometimes (not always) her inner monologue seemed too formal. I mean, she's been traveling around with Kanin for a few books now, and yet she would still mentally refer to him as The Master Vampire. As in, The master vampire looked over the city with an unreadable expression on his face.
*That's not a quote by the way, just an example.*
I mean, it just seemed like she should have said something more like, Kanin had an unreadable expression on his face while he looked over the city.
I don't think I'm explaining this right, but Allie used Kanin and Jackal's titles (the Raider King, the master vampire, my mentor, my brother) way too much for someone raised on the streets.
This whole paragraph doesn't really makes sense, does it? I really probably should just delete it, since it's just pretty much one bullshit complaint in an otherwise decent book, but I've already spent a good hunk of my time trying to figure out how to say this. I feel like I'm locked into it now.
Ugh. Don't you hate that?!

Anyhoo. Feel free to disregard my above brain fart, 'cause I can't bring myself to use the backspace key.

Again, if you liked the first two books, you'll like this one. This is the only thing I've read by Kagawa so far, but I'm sorta tempted to check out her Iron Fey series now.

Thanks, NetGalley! I pinky swear this is an honest review. Blah, blah, blah...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forever Song.

March 6, 2014 – Shelved
March 12, 2014 – Started Reading
April 3, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) Why why why? Why does this have to be YA? I can't believe this!:P

Anne You got sumpin' against YA?! ;)

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) No I think YA's got something against me.