Shan's Reviews > Hatchet

Hatchet by Gary Paulsen

it was ok
bookshelves: audio-book, young-adult

I think I'm being generous with my rating of 2 stars. But...you know what, sometimes I feel like being nice. Only sometimes, though.

I first read this when I was in 6th grade (Mr. Tietze's class, *holla*). I think I liked it but I don't really remember. So, since Mr. Tietze was the best teacher I've ever had, that is the reason for me being generous in terms of this rating.

Since re-reading it, I realize how stupid this book is. It didn't make sense. Why on earth would a mom give her 13 year old son a hatchet? Especially at a difficult time in his life--3 months after his parents' divorce--and when he's about to leave her for a little while to visit his dad? It's like she's saying, "Hey, son, I pretty much don't like your dad anymore, so I'm going to give you, umm, this nice, little, umm, gift. Yeah...a gift. Now, if you have any problems with your dad, umm, don't call me. Umm...just use your head...and this hatchet..." I mean, come on! No mom would randomly give her son a hatchet as a going-away gift, especially when he's about to board a plane.

Another problem with this book was that it took the kid forever to realize that there are fish in the lake. Since he didn't think to look in the lake for food, he had been eating berries and trying to hunt "fool birds". Yep, well, who's the fool, now? You didn't think to look in the big ol' water hole that your plane crashed into, to search for food? Okaaaaay, so I'll give you a break. I mean, you must've been exhausted after surviving a crash and creating a shelter and warding off attacks of porcupines and moose. So I'll be lenient. But for goodness' sake! After all the times you washed in the water, found turtle eggs on the shore, and drank from the lake, why didn't you think to go fishing sooner? Poor boy.

I pity the fool.

PS: What in the world did his parents' divorce have anything to do with this book? NOTHING. NOTHING. NOTHING. Oh, wait, no, I just came to the conclusion that if his parents hadn't been divorced then he never would've gotten on the plane to visit his dad, never would've crashed, and never would've been stranded in Canada, eh? So, essentially, it's his dad's fault for all the trouble this boy had to go through!!!! Bad dad. But if it weren't for his mom giving him that hatchet as a going away gift, then he wouldn't have survived. Good mom. You're still a cheater, though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hatchet.

Started Reading
March 4, 2014 – Finished Reading
March 6, 2014 – Shelved
March 6, 2014 – Shelved as: audio-book
April 21, 2014 – Shelved as: young-adult

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Scott (new)

Scott hillarious