Matthew's Reviews > Room

Room by Emma Donoghue

bookshelves: fifty-shades-of-purple-book-club, action-thriller, tear-jerkers, library

This is a book about hopelessness, the dawning of hope, ultimate terror, and rebuilding.

What happens in these pages is terrifyingly possible as can be seen in news stories that crop up from time to time about a twisted person who has someone locked in their basement/backyard for years. When I think about that, I get chills with the realization that somewhere in the world right now - even close to home - there might be someone going through exactly what is happening in this book.

Read if you like heart-wrenching, super-suspenseful, could-happen in-real-life stories. This one will leave you exhausted!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Room.

Finished Reading
March 5, 2014 – Shelved
March 6, 2014 – Shelved as: fifty-shades-of-purple-book-club
March 6, 2014 – Shelved as: action-thriller
March 6, 2014 – Shelved as: tear-jerkers
September 25, 2014 – Shelved as: library

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

Fabian {Councillor} Good review, Matthew! I have heard a lot of positive as well as negative things about this book, so I might try to see for myself how good this actually is.

Matthew I was riveted so I think it is worth a read

Jeanette Cooper I liked the book too! Sad. There was a person in our book club that hated . I think purely based on the theme!

Jeanette Cooper Darn phone! Can't seem to edit!

Matthew Jeanette - I have heard some others say that they couldn't get past the theme to just appreciate the story. (and no worries on the edit - happens to me all the time!)

Caroline I thought it was good. Watch the movie, if you haven't already.

Matthew Caroline wrote: "I thought it was good. Watch the movie, if you haven't already."

I still need to do that! I am way behind on movies right now . . . too many TV series to watch and books to read!

Caroline I hear ya. There's always a show I like to watch each night. I only get to movies when my shows are on their breaks. :|

Mariah Roze Room by Emma Donoghue

Matthew Mariah wrote: "Room by Emma Donoghue

Thanks for the info and invite - I will head over and check it out!

Mariah Roze Matthew wrote: "Mariah wrote: "Room by Emma Donoghue
Our Diversity in All Forms book Club is reading this for May. We’d love to have you join the discussion on it. :) https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...-..."

Awesome! We are excited to have you join us :)