Becky's Reviews > Soulless

Soulless by Gail Carriger

Jan 28, 2010

bookshelves: fantasy, humorous, vampires, historical-fiction, library-books, 2010, highly-recommended, mystery-and-thrillers, reviewed, romance-y, owned
Read from February 20 to 21, 2010

In the words of Allison, this book kicked ass. I immensely enjoyed it, and have added it to both my "wishlist" and "to buy" shelves. Maybe someone will want to part with their copy, but I won't hold my breath.

First, let us get the bad stuff out of the way:
1) The main character's name: Alexia. This is a kind of disorder that causes word blindness, or the inability to read. TERRIBLE choice for an exceedingly smart and well-read main character.
2) There were some annoyingly errors in the text, things like saying that the time between sunrise and the moon rising is "twinight". Umm, no, that would be the time between sunset and the moon rising. The time after sunrise is called "day".

Ok, that's all I got for bad stuff. Other than that, I really loved the book. It was humorous, witty, unique, tied in one of my favorite eras to read about, had wonderful characters and was just an all around fun read. Miss Tarabotti reminded me quite a lot of Amelia Peabody from that series of books, and Lord Maccon reminded me of Emerson, again from the Peabody books, but in this there is a supernatural bent. I like that vampires and werewolves are "out" and accepted, mostly, and I like the subtle political "fear mongering" nod in the book too. Very smart.

I have to say that I am immensely glad that this book does not seem to be the start of a series of revolving beds, like the Sookie Stackhouse books. I like that there is a good amount of romance in the stories, but I don't like books that bed-hop just for the sake of stirring things up. I like that this book seems to have more substance than that, although it does seem to follow the trend of "unusual girl meets very unusual guy and drama ensues, then relationship bliss..."

I really enjoyed this book, and look forward to the rest of the series. Which I now have to wait for. BLAST!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soulless.

02/20/2010 page 1
02/20/2010 page 110
30.81% 1 comment
02/21/2010 page 357
100.0% 1 comment
08/24/2016 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

Allison (The Allure of Books) *jumps up and down like her 12 year old self listening to N'Sync*

Becky *shakes head*

Jackie So what do you think of it?

Becky LOL!! My goodness you girls are impatient. I have made my way all the way up to page 8, and I'm liking it so far! :P

Allison (The Allure of Books) you better be crapface. If you don't love this book I will cordially horsewhip you.

er...virtually.

Jackie Oh my bad. Didn't know you were such a slow reader. Figured you would be done by now. :P

Becky Allison wrote: "you better be crapface. If you don't love this book I will cordially horsewhip you.

er...virtually."

Where did I put my rolled up newspaper?

message 9: by Becky (last edited Feb 20, 2010 07:18PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Becky Jackie wrote: "Oh my bad. Didn't know you were such a slow reader. Figured you would be done by now. :P"

O_O This is a multi-use newspaper.

Jackie *bends over*

Spank me, mami!!

Becky O_o

Allison (The Allure of Books) I no longer think I want any details about your future date in NYC. I'm too afraid.

Becky *whispers* Me too...

Jackie :( I'll behave. We're going to be in public.

Allison (The Allure of Books) Jackie wrote: ":( I'll behave. We're going to be in public."

hmm...I figured you'd be into that too.

Becky Jackie wrote: ":( I'll behave. We're going to be in public."

LOL It's New York. Nobody would notice. :P

Jackie True. We don't plan on going to the park though...so she should be safe. tee hee.

Allison (The Allure of Books) *starts to think maybe she DOES want to see pictures*

Becky LOL you girls. :)

Alrighty, I'm off to read more now. Toodles!

message 21: by Chris (new)

Chris Based on this, I think you'd like the Carrie Vaughn series about Kitty Norville.

It starts with Kitty and the Midnight Hour

Felina Huzah! Since I owe you two books (you gave me The Devil in the White City and the hell one whose actual name escapes me at the moment) I would be happy to get you this one if you want.

Felina Wait I'm confused...do you mean 'twinight" or "twilight"?

Becky Felina wrote: "Huzah! Since I owe you two books (you gave me The Devil in the White City and the hell one whose actual name escapes me at the moment) I would be happy to get you this one if you want. "

Oooh! Really? That would be fantastic! :D

And I did mean "twinight" - weird, I know, but apparently it's supposed to be the time between twilight and full night, rather than between day and night.

Felina Is that an actual word? Sounds stupid. Thats right. I have stated a blatant negative opinion.

Okay I'll send that book out on Friday...payday! I'll get one for myself to. Hopefully the bountiful supply of twinights won't deter me.

Becky No, there's only the one time it's mentioned. LOL

Thanks for the book! You're the best! :D

message 27: by Carol (new) - added it

Carol Neman I think the word 'twinight' is cool...it makes more sense to have it be between twilight and full night.

Jayme(the ghost reader) Alexia is a girl's name. Dyslexia is in inability to read because words get scrambled.