Danielle's Reviews > Winter's Awakening

Winter's Awakening by Shelley Shepard Gray

Jan 28, 2010

bookshelves: for-review, ya-series
Read from January 28 to February 07, 2010 — I own a copy

"Winter's Awakening was a breathe of fresh air for me. It was refreshing to read a story about young love that didn't involve an overly immoral theme. Granted one of the main characters had committed an indiscretion and landed her family in Sugarcreek to escape the humiliation that would come in their hometown; it still focuses on more important things. Things like making the right choices, accepting others' faults, and growing up.

"Every character in this story is wonderful and I loved being able to hear from each of the main characters. They all were at a stage in their lives where they needed to make some difficult decisions and become adults. Being what I consider a fairly spiritual person myself I really appreciated Gretta's character, her quiet thoughtful ways and her desire to listen to God. And though each of the characters eventually acknowledged their own need to rely on God I never felt I was being 'preached' to. I have to say, that was so nice!

"One of the other wonderful bits about this story that I loved is that it was in Ohio. It is in fact somewhere that holds a special place in my heart after spending a year and a half long mission for my church in the areas central and southern Ohio. It was wonderful being transported back to a time and place that I fell in love with. I still recall the buggy's riding down the road and the Amish store just within walking distance of one of my residences. Shelley did a magnificent job of describing the scenery and beauty that encompass that entire area, somewhere I long to visit again.

"All in all I would highly recommend this book. It was a quick, fun and meaningful read. And as I said before, refreshing in today's market that's saturated with immorality, it was nice to read a book that wasn't preachy, but still morally based. Another great thing is that it's the first in a series with the second book, Spring's Renewal, due out in May. I can't wait!"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter's Awakening.