Candace's Reviews > We Two: Victoria and Albert: Rulers, Partners, Rivals

We Two by Gillian Gill

Gillian Gill's "We Two" is an excellent history that, yes, sorry for the cliche, reads like fiction. There's a lot of interesting stuff to learn from this book. I had always wondered how princes and princesses from these tiny German duchies ended up marrying into nearly all the royal houses of Europe and the answer is easy--there were a lot of them! Since royals can only marry royals, preunited Germany offered lots of royalty even if they were from teeny debt-ridden countries. Who cared if the palaces were firetraps and the country the size of a city block--they were royal and Protestant. With no other way to support themselves, Saxe-Coburg and similar places became shopping centers for royal spouses. They tended to be quite good looking and raised to rule, even if they were the first cousins of nearly every royal house.

It is amazing that two people raised in loveless households could have a pretty successful marriage and create an unusually happy childhood for most of their nine children. This was Albert's realm--Victoria hated being pregnant and did not really like children--but because this was important to her beloved husband, she did her best. Little Vic enjoyed dancing, music, lively conversation, and ruling. Albert seems to have been somewhat depressed for much of his marriage. He had planned to rule in Victoria's place, and that certainly didn't happen.

If you enjoyed the film "Young Victoria" this is a great follow-up, placing the story in an acutely-observed historical context. Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Two.

January 28, 2010 – Started Reading
January 28, 2010 – Shelved
January 30, 2010 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

The Romance Reviews (Carole) I actually like HF, so this book may be up my alley. Thanks!

Candace I really enjoyed the book. I hope you do too!