K.F.'s Reviews > Breath

Breath by Jackie Morse Kessler

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, ya-after-my-own-heart, buffy-esque

By far, BY FAR, the best book in the series.

Longer than the others (probably by dint of necessity), far more twisted, far more complex, far harder to skim over because every single line and plot point is intriguing and strange.

Very much Neverwhere meets I love You, Beth Cooper , but creepier, if that makes sense. And also the Truman Show. The funny thing is, I'm pretty sure Kessler acknowledges both Neil Gaiman and the Truman Show...which is amazing and self aware and basically she's giving kudos while you're reading and you can congratulate yourself for being such a well-read, well-watched individual while you're reading.

(view spoiler)

Anyways, the reason I liked this book more than the other books is because it's sort of the backstory that everybody was longing for in all three previous books, but never got because all those other books were so short and so plotted out because of the individual characters.

Xander, on the other hand, is sort of a parallel story line to Death's own storyline and it's all very twisted and creepy and fucked up.

(view spoiler)

Also, hey, we get to meet past characters again in ways the previous books didn't (which was always disappointing; like ARE THEY THE SAME HORSEMEN OR NOT? Well..the answer is: sort of).

Xander provides a lovely foil against BIlly in many ways, but it's never heavy handed, direct, or obvious. We see Tammy again, and it's pretty twisted yet so GOOD because it's exactly what you think should have/probably happened. And Melissa basically is exactly how we left her. So there's that.

DO READ IF: you want to hear about angsty Death in all his terrifyingly omnipotent glory, if you like the idea of a snarky Steed of Death, you've ever really been hit by what you thought was TRUE LOVE and was really delusional, if you like the idea of creepy "what is real, what is not" plot lines

DO NOT READ IF: you have issues with stalking, you can't stand cliffhanger chapter endings, you hate all-powerful creature whining about how terrible it is to be all powerful, you are on a diet and really can't think about chocolate

General mood afterwards: I am a total glutton; can't believe I read these books all in two days. Unsettled, because Xander is such a mindfuck of a character and now I don't know how I feel about him (actually, yes i do: my feelings for Xander are very similar to my feelings towards Severus Snape without Alan Rickman playing him in the movies, with maybe a hint of the feels I have for Mads Mikkelson's version of Hannibal Lecter). Overall, definitely some of the best YA fiction I've had the pleasure of discovering in ages.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breath.

Started Reading