Dallas's Reviews > T is for Trespass

T is for Trespass by Sue Grafton

Jan 27, 2010

Read in January, 2010

I rounded up. This should be a 3.5 star rating.

I'd missed Kinsey Millhone. In Sue Grafton's 20th novel in the mystery series, Quarter-Pounder eating, 3-mile-a-day-running, never-going-to-marry-again 30-something PI Millhone solves two mysteries, instead of the usual one. Grafton strayed from her formula, in that she included a few chapters from the perspective of the villainous, creepy Solana. I was turned off by it initially, but later realized it was a useful tool after all.

I like that Henry Pitts had much "page time" in this book. He's a great character to keep around. He enjoyed his 88th birthday here; I hope he makes it through the next six books!

This is a darker novel for Grafton: more gore than before, if you can call it that-dark for the Kinsey stories, not so dark for some other writers. There's also a bit of preachiness about a situation involving a witness Kinsey tracks down. I found it (gross) and unnecessary.

Though I do like this series, and even enjoy the 80's-ness of it, I am also tiring of the comments made by 21st century author through her character about futuristic technology that someday everyone will have made through her heroine with a wink and a smile. Kinsey is 1980's. Leave her there, or bring her out-don't cross decades or centuries in mid-novel, please.

If you read A through S, you'll read T. It's better than some, worse than others, all Kinsey. Now on to U...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read T is for Trespass.