Kiwi's Reviews > I Am Malala: The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban

I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai

bookshelves: 2014, audio-books

I think this is the first audio book I ever actually finished. I may have zoned out during a chapter while I was writing a letter, but otherwise I was paying pretty close attention. My minister and I listened to it as we were driving across the country, from Phoenix, Arizona back to Boston, MA.

I found Malala fascinating. I did enjoy the history of the land and its people--her people--moving on to more of her family's history, and then into the history of her country and where the Taliban and US came in. I loved learning about the different tradition and the scale on which Muslim people exist, from extremist to more secularist (which I intellectually knew but it was nice to hear about it from someone who understood it more intrinsically).

It was amazing to see all this through the lens of a different, non-American, non-Christian-esque lens and from someone who was really around it and had her life so clearly affected. It made me love her and her family, their bravery and their firmly-held beliefs, their drive to be outspoken about what was important to them in life and what they were peacefully fighting for.

Some reviews have mentioned Malala attacking certain people. I didn't get the impression that she was writing many people as inherently bad or unworthy--even the Taliban she was mentioned as often coming from these madrasas and straight from the family home, then being raised with these certain ideas while in extreme circumstances.

It was heartbreaking what happened to Malala, and yet she has such a strong spirit that she is clearly getting through and living on. By the end of the book I actually felt worse for the mother and the life she had been ripped away from; she ended up a Stranger in a Strange Land moreso than Malala, who at least spoke and read the language and had the potential to be incredibly social. I'm not sure what I was looking for with the end of the book, but it didn't feel quite finished yet. I suppose that's because Malala is only 16 and so much more to do--and to know that she is looking forward to her Benazir moment of touching back down on Pakistani soil again and seeing Swat Valley.

I think some of my 'reading' of this book was impacted by the fact that it was Archie Panjabi's voice reading the words. I've been a fan of Archie's for a while and her voice is a distinctive force for me, so it was somewhat difficult for me to remove the feelings I associate with Archie and her sense of humour and replace them with a feeling of Malala, whose sense of humour and presence I also appreciate but in a different way.

Either way, I enjoyed the experience!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am Malala.

Started Reading