Taylor's Reviews > The Satanic Verses

The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie

Apr 24, 2007

bookshelves: fiction, to-reread, favorites, own, recommended, desert-island-picks, ramble-on, the-power-of-love, in-a-land-far-away, in-a-time-long-ago, surreality, not-by-a-white-guy, awards-and-accolades
Recommended for: those who are not easily daunted.

Here's the thing about this book that you will immediately grasp from what everyone says: it's a beast. I do not mean this in a bad sense. I mean this in the sense that it's overwhelming. It's long, complex (storylines that involve overlapping characters and storylines that don't overlap in time or space at all), dense and occasionally slow. It is not for the reader with ADD. No matter how quickly you think you might read, reading this book will slow you down. No matter how determined you are to catch every single detail and nuance of this book and what it means, you will not.

I can generally blaze through a book in a matter of days. It took me an entire year to read this book, and was almost certainly my longest read. I often had to go back and refer to other parts of the book to keep names and events straight. but you know what? it was worth every minute.

Rushdie is a master writer, and I can't tell you how much I took away from this book. I would have liked to taken a class on it while reading it so that I could have understood more of it, but even without one, I enjoyed every second of it. reading it is a labor of love, but it's a highly rewarding one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Satanic Verses.

Started Reading
July 22, 2014 – Shelved as: surreality
October 31, 2014 – Shelved as: not-by-a-white-guy
November 3, 2014 – Shelved as: awards-and-accolades

message 1: by C. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C. There's a free study guide here. Mostly I couldn't be bothered looking up every single reference, but the introduction and commentaries and such were pretty interesting. Totally agree with your interpretation of the book, by the way.