Ally Shields's Reviews > Fires of Man

Fires of Man by Dan Levinson

Fires of Man is the first book in a scifi war series by Dan Levinson, and I can't wait for him to publish the second. Epic science fiction stories aren't hard to find, but the Psion stories are a worthy and unique addition to the field. The author knows his craft, combining a smooth writing style with a flare for story-telling, an interesting fictional world, and characters you'll care about.

Two great nations currently in a cold war standoff are on the brink of open warfare. Both have amassed and trained secret specialty units of psions, those humans with the ability to manipulate reality, delivering death and destruction with their minds. Into this landscape are dropped a cast of fascinating characters, including two young men who are both reluctant warriors; a long, lost brother; a woman afraid to fall in love; a soldier who believes there can be a better way, and a robotic-style human killer named Agent. But what I found the most unique is that likable characters are presented from both sides of the conflict, forcing the reader to root for the characters rather than the cause.

The only complaint I have is the book ended on a cliff hanger, and I wanted to know immediately what happened to each of the characters!

Fires of Man is fast paced and reads quickly. Highly recommended. Well worth your time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fires of Man.

March 2, 2014 – Started Reading