C.G. Drews's Reviews > Whisper

Whisper by Chrissie Keighery

bookshelves: 4-star, aussie-authors, contemporary, read-2015, young-adult, deafness

THIS WAS SUPER WONDERFUL. I admit I read it for selfish reasons though...I'm writing a book with a deaf character and I'm gobbling all the research I can. What I particularly loved about this book was how it was all about Deaf culture, too, and I loved how it talked about audism (discrimination to non-hearing people) and Deaf communities. And I loooved how it contrasted the narrator, Demi, who lives in a hearing family but is now deaf, and Stella, who is SO FIERCELY proud of her deaf heritage that she's actually very cruel to hearing people.

See? Completely interesting and absorbing book.

The characters...well, I did feel meh towards them sometimes. But I definitely warmed up to Demi as it went along! At the beginning she's mean and bitter...bUT I gET THAT. She got meningitis and went deaf, which is very rare (the book says) and how this just destroyed her life. When the book takes off, she's been deaf for 2 years and still loathes it. The book is about her realising deafness isn't a disability. And she really truly gets nicer as she accepts she's who she is and THAT'S OKAY. It's so important to accept yourself. Omg, I'm getting all misty here. *sniffles* :')

I think this is a super important quote too:
I look her in the eyes and point to my ears. "I'm deaf" I say, and for the first time it doesn't feel awful to say it. It's a reason, not an excuse.

It's got a lot of family focuses too, which is EPIC. Like Demi has an older sister who (I think?) is suffering with depression and Demi can't really communicate perfectly with her family. And then she feels like she's losing her old friends but she wants new friends. AND THEN THERE'S A CUTE BOY. Omg. Cute boys are so dangerous. (But Ethan really is a sweetie.) SO YEAH. There's a lot of frustrating miscommunication, though. Which makes me grind my teeth, and I don't think ALL of it can be blamed on lack-of-hearing-for-some-parties. But that's humans for you. So dysfunctional when it comes to assuming things. Hmmphf.

ALSO THIS BOOK IS AUSTRALIAN. YAY.

If you want to learn more about Deaf culture and what it's like to be deaf: this is your book. I feel like it was exceptionally well researched and really let me bop around in Demi's shoes and understand more about her life.

** OTHER EXCELLENT BOOKS ABOUT DEAFNESS **
Five Flavors of Dumb
There Will Be Lies
Talk Under Water

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whisper.

March 2, 2014 – Shelved
July 31, 2015 – Shelved as: read-2015
July 31, 2015 – Shelved as: young-adult
July 31, 2015 – Shelved as: deafness
July 31, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

message 1: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Chesak Does your library have Hurt Go Happy by Ginny Rorby? SUCH A GOOD BOOK. It has a deaf protagonist too!

message 2: by rachel (new)

rachel Great Australian books about deafness? *runs straight to Amazon and adds to wishlist* Great review, Cait!

message 3: by Nadea (new)

Nadea Have you watched Switched at Birth? A great TV show about deafness.

message 4: by Vlora (new) - added it

Vlora I was also going to suggest Switched at Birth^^

C.G. Drews @Nevillegirl: No. *sobs* They do not and that makes me sad.

@Rachel: THANK YOU!! I actually had no idea it was Aussie when I started it and they mentioned Melbourne and I was just "WAIT. WHAT". So that was an epic surprise.

@Nadea @Vlora: I watched the first episode! I liked it, I'm just hopeless at finding time to watch TV. Have you seen it all?? Is it worth watching all of it??

message 6: by Nadea (new)

Nadea Cait Grace wrote: "@Nevillegirl: No. *sobs* They do not and that makes me sad.

The 1st season is fantastic! The 2nd one is good too.. but I failed to finish the 3rd season, because, for my taste, it was a bit boring.
I think you should definitely watch at least one season of it, bc I'm sure it will help you a lot with your book)

message 7: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Perry What an awesome review! Thanks so much Cait and best of luck with your writing. Just to let you know, Vic College for the Deaf was really welcoming. I couldn't have written 'Whisper' without access to that great school.

C.G. Drews @Chrissie: Omg, I'm glad you liked my review! :D I absolutely love your book...obviously, hehee. ^_^ !!

message 9: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Perry Researching Whisper was the biggest learning curve of my adult life. How are you doing?

message 10: by Britt (new)

Britt THANK you! I couldn't remember who had recommended this story, and I loved it. @paperfury