Kerri (Book Hoarder)'s Reviews > Intervention

Intervention by W.R.R. Munro

liked it
bookshelves: netgalley, science-fiction, science-ftw, read-in-2014, interesting

I'll be honest, I love love love this sort of book.

When I was in highschool, I had to do a big project as part of my science class. I was taking biology, so I decided to study mass extinctions. Doing so opened my eyes to a simple reality: in the past there had been species who dominated this earth, until something happened that meant that they didn't anymore.

Since then I've come to realise that the question isn't so much whether the Earth will survive global warming and the various problem that have arisen over the last century.

The question is whether HUMANS will survive.

I love books that take on the real, difficult questions that humans are facing. Our population is growing, food and water are getting scarcer, real changes are happening in our climate.

So what happens if someone tries to take action to stop our seemingly inevitable spiral towards destruction?

Intervention is set in the not so distant future - a mere twenty years on, when there have been advances in technology. Take Google Glass and multiply its effectiveness and make it ubiquitous, and that's what you get in this book. There have also been advances in science as well.

Enter our main character, Ayden - extremely smart and in his twenties, he's taken an interest in field research, wanting to make sure that the Earth survives the mounting pressures of 8.5 billion people. That means keeping an eye on changes in the biosphere, and tracing it all back to the big pharmaceutical companies who don't necessarily want all that attention.

The concepts that the book examines are really quite interesting. What measures should we take to protect the planet? How do we juggle our morals with the greater good? How do we balance human rights with potential catastrophe and massive human suffering?

These are the questions that Ayden has to face throughout the book, and it's really quite interesting. The writing is a bit dry at times, very technical - sometimes I wished for a bit more spice, something to move the plot along a little bit more.

In spite of that though, there was enough to keep me reading, my interest piqued by the decisions that Ayden was having to make, and the hard questions being thrown at him by William Hanford, whose thought processes are a bit too close to Ayden's for his own comfort. It's not a black and white battle of good versus evil, that's for sure, and the ending of the book doesn't lay out any clear victories, either, which I like.

So often decisions come with real consequences and real downsides, and this plays out as Ayden finds himself in very real danger, and putting his relationships at risk as well as he tries to find a way through the mess that has been created.

Definitely worth a look, and I'll be checking out the sequel!

Disclosure: I received a copy of this book through Netgalley in return for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Intervention.

March 1, 2014 – Shelved