Dan Schwent's Reviews > The Bird Eater

The Bird Eater by Ania Ahlborn

liked it
bookshelves: 2014, lendable

His life in shambles, Aaron Holbrook returns to his home town to the house he grew up in, which also happens to be the house his aunt was murdered in. His plan is to rehab the house and sell it. Too bad The Bird Eater has other plans...

I got this as part of the Kindle First program.

The Bird Eater reminded me a lot of the Anne Rice Mayfair Witches series, which is high praise since I think The Witching Hour was the last good book Anne Rice wrote. The Holbrook House has been haunted by a ghostly twelve or thirteen year old boy, the Bird Eater of the title, for generations.

This is one creepy book. Aaron moves into the house and Birdie starts tormenting him from the start. Without giving too much away, Aaron's condition degenerates even as he reconnects with friends from his youth, Eric and Cheri, his first love.

While I enjoyed the story, it wasn't a fun read by any means. The creepiness was offset by the bleakness, which sucked the enjoyment out of it for me. I really felt bad for Cheri, particularly has her heart was torn to pieces as Aaron slid further into madness.

That's about all I can tell without giving away all the best bits. It was a chilling read and will be of interest to anyone who likes stories featuring creepy kids. 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bird Eater.

March 1, 2014 – Shelved
March 1, 2014 – Shelved as: the-freebie-queue
March 2, 2014 – Started Reading
March 6, 2014 –
March 6, 2014 –
March 6, 2014 – Shelved as: 2014
March 6, 2014 – Finished Reading
March 20, 2014 – Shelved as: lendable

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

message 1: by Jack (new)

Jack I picked Mickey Outside by David Lender as my freebie. I don't normally do horror so didn't even look at this one until after I'd committed. Almost wish I had picked this one... Did add to my wishlist, though. Look forward to your thoughts on it (whenever you get to it, that is -- no pressure).

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dan Schwent Jack wrote: "I picked Mickey Outside by David Lender as my freebie. I don't normally do horror so didn't even look at this one until after I'd committed. Almost wish I had picked this one... Did add to my wishl..."

Since we're caught in another winter storm, I'l probably be able to get to it in a few days.

Jenna I just purchased this one...I can't wait to hear what you think of it!

message 4: by Nancy (new) - added it

Nancy Thanks for making this sound so appealing without including spoilers. I'm a little bummed that the Kindle First program won't honor my gift card balance.

message 5: by Dan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dan Schwent I hate that I can't use my Amazon rewards points I earned using my Amazon credit card on ebooks.

Jenna If you think it is creepy and you like horror books then it will probably be really disturbing for me!

message 7: by Sheri (new)

Sheri I want to read this but until I find out what type of addiction our main character suffers from along with his grief-- I can't. I don't wanna get into something that I have to put down.

message 8: by Dan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dan Schwent Sheri wrote: "I want to read this but until I find out what type of addiction our main character suffers from along with his grief-- I can't. I don't wanna get into something that I have to put down."

I can't help you there. I've forgotten almost everything about this.

traskers13gmail.com I'm addicted to this book. I can't put it down and I think about when I'm not reading. I'm on page 234 and I will probably finish it tonight. I highly suggest it.