Tonya's Reviews > If Only

If Only by A.J. Pine

bookshelves: arc-reviews, reading-challenge-2014, fully-reviewed-books

4 stars
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I really really really enjoyed this book. I was surprised that this was a debut novel. I honestly didn't expect much, but I was totally drawn into this story from the beginning. The writing was great and I loved how she weaved classic literature and film into the novel. It was very well done.

I was initially drawn to this book because of the setting: Aberdeen Scotland. Ask any of my friends and you'll learn that if a book has anything to do with Scotland then I'm usually all over it. This book starts off with a chance encounter between Jordan Brooks and Noah Keating. They get locked together in a bathroom on the train to Aberdeen that will begin their year abroad. They make a strong connection but after they leave the train reality sets in. Noah still has loose ends from an old relationship. So as far as Jordan is concerned they have ended before they ever really started.

If you're all about instant gratification, then this book might drive you bonkers. That's because this novel is all about the slow tortuous buildup, the random encounters, the longing looks and hand touches. In a word it's delicious. I'm a big fan of angst and this book is the definition of angst. Between all the angst, the brilliant use of classic literature and films to draw you in and a great cast of secondary characters, I was in heaven. This book was a pleasant surprise and I loved every second. The only disclaimer I have is that if you haven't read or seen the movie A Room With a View, then this book might spoil some of that a bit for you. I am in the camp of have not read or seen the movie and it didn't bother me but if spoilers bother you, then that might be the only drawback.

Otherwise, I'd definitely recommend this book and look forward to more from this author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If Only.

February 28, 2014 – Shelved
February 28, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
February 28, 2014 – Shelved as: arc-reviews
March 2, 2014 – Started Reading
March 2, 2014 – Shelved as: reading-challenge-2014
March 2, 2014 – Finished Reading
May 28, 2015 – Shelved as: fully-reviewed-books

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Maria Rose Isn't AJ great! I've really been enjoying this series, plus the new one she just started.

Tonya Yes! I really liked this. I haven't read any others yet.

Maria Rose The second one was so good too, it was Griffin's story (the one who loses out in this one) you have to read it!! It has a really unique heroine in it.