Shanna's Reviews > Complete Works of Oscar Wilde

Complete Works of Oscar Wilde by Oscar Wilde

3205983
When I first read this I wasn't necessarily a fan of Oscar Wilde. I was just curious about his work and I realized the easiest and fastest way to read it all was just to buy the book and call it a day.

Overall a very interesting and relatively quick read. Interesting in the sense of getting everything. Background history, the fairy tales, plays, novel, essays are all accounted for, and quick to read in the fact of most everything in this book can be breezed through with no real issue.

The only problem for me was near the end of the book. The poems and the essays seemed to drag on and on. One reason is, I'm not really a poetry reader usually, so it was a little painful since it was poetry and I wasn't about to skip it since, it's my book and I don't like wasting money if I'm not going to read the whole thing. Secondly, most of the essay's seemed repetitious and some were just longer than necessary. I realize everything Oscar Wilde ever wrote is included, but this is what I've learned and care to share. The only one of the essays that I didn't really mind reading was De Profundis. It was genuinely interesting since it was about the man who put him in prison and was written to him from prison.

Otherwise I have no regrets in buying this book. It was definitely worth the $10 I put into it and I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is interested in reading the whole kaboodle of Wilde's work.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Complete Works of Oscar Wilde.

January 26, 2010 – Started Reading