Angela's Reviews > Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir

Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny  Lawson

bookshelves: autobiographical, humor, memoir, whimsical

To be honest I have never been able to get into The Bloggess's blog; when I've tried, it's usually just struck me as confusing & strange (though every now and then there's a post that I find particularly entertaining). For that reason, I didn't seek out her book when it was first released. But then Patrick Rothfuss gave the audio book a five-star review, and Rothfuss has never steered me wrong, and I am often in need of a good audiobook. So I downloaded it & gave it a chance.

I started listening to it at work while doing some stuff I didn't need my language processing faculties for, and when I say that I was literally stifling bursts of laughter every five minutes lest my co-workers give me weird looks, I am not joking. I'm not sure I would have had the same reaction to the print version, but hearing Jenny Lawson read it herself was just the perfect storm of gut-bustingly hilarious and utterly horrifying. (Also, as she grew up in rural Texas, there were definitely parts of it that I felt probably struck me as even funnier than they would have otherwise because I was all, "Yep, it is *totally* just like that.")

She's definitely at her wittiest when she's telling stories about things that actually happened to her (which is most of the book); there are a few places where she isn't actually telling a story & those parts did sometimes come off as just sort of rambling & trying too hard to be funny, but fortunately those parts never went on for too long. (Also, justly or not, I pretty much compare all humorous memoirs to Bossypants, and it's tough for anything not to suffer at least a little bit by comparison. Tina Fey, you slay me.)

In summary: a quick, easy, hilarious, entertaining read (or listen as the case may be--I think I might actually recommend listening over reading in this case because Lawson's narration is just. That. Fabulous) for those who are not bothered by the word 'vagina.' (But seriously, if you are....this book is probably not for you. Pick a different one. Or get over it. Either one.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Let's Pretend This Never Happened.

Started Reading
February 28, 2014 – Shelved
February 28, 2014 – Shelved as: autobiographical
February 28, 2014 – Shelved as: humor
February 28, 2014 – Shelved as: memoir
February 28, 2014 – Shelved as: whimsical
February 28, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Layla (new)

Layla Bohm I wonder if I'd like this better as an audio book. I'm currently about 50 pages into it and it's kind of torturous.

Angela You seriously might. I can see how reading the book might be a little like reading standup comedy. I really did love her narration.

message 3: by Layla (new)

Layla Bohm Yes, that's exactly what it's like: reading standup comedy! I'm hit-and-miss with her blog, but I'd heard great things about the book. Hmm.