Logan's Reviews > Garibaldi's Biscuits

Jan 25, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: picture-book, own
Read in December, 2009

Logan received this gift for Christmas from a friend who bought it in London. At first we thought it was for my husband because he is a huge fan of Ralph Steadman's illustrations. But reading it, it's clearly a kid's book. Funny though it was (Garibaldi is an Italian general whose men fight with water balloons and wear pizza belt-buckles which they eat when necessary), it required a lot of explanation. To begin with, the story is a supposed history of the source of Garibaldi Biscuits, a popular cookie in Britain for 150 years. I had to look that up on Wikipedia. Then there is the historical setting of the French and Italians at war. Anyway, Logan thought the water balloons were funny and also laughed at the soldiers fighting while holding up their trousers because they had to belt buckles, but he's never asked me to read the book again. I think you might have to be a Brit kid to begin to truly get this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Garibaldi's Biscuits.