Mark's Reviews > Justice as Fairness: A Restatement

Justice as Fairness by John Rawls

Jan 24, 2010

One of the most ubiquitous complaints against Rawls' book that I get is that it is "not realistic", but Rawls points this out. Based on what he calls a "veil of ignorance", Justice as fairness considers a society in which its individuals are unable to consider their own personal interests in making laws that will apply to society as a whole. Rawls points out early on that this is simply a hypothetical condition which should be considered if we are to create just laws for society.

Typically, Rawls' book is used in direct dichotomy to R. Nozick's book Anarchy, State, and Utopia in part because of Nozick's discussion of Rawls' second theory of justice (there are two).

This is a philosophy book, but it is written in a readable style. As my comment on Nozick's book, this is a good read to have under one's belt before getting into political "discussions" with those so-called Libertarian and even Republican pundits.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Justice as Fairness.