Nancy's Reviews > The Hole We're in

The Hole We're in by Gabrielle Zevin

Jan 24, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: fiction

The Hole We're In is the story of a family headed by a deeply religious man who goes through life seemingly blind to the needs and lives of his own wife and three children.Zevin’s first novel for adult readers spotlights many of the hot topics from today’s news and culture.

After a couple of successful YA novels, Zevin must’ve been full of ideas for an adult novel and she decided to put all of them in one book. There is a lot to talk about here, but make sure you read this book before you pick it for your bookclub because you’ll have to be very comfortable to discuss all the traditionally taboo subjects which make up this story: money, religion, the Iraq war, abortion, affairs, drugs, and, of course, the usual dysfunctional family.

Not that there’s anything wrong with all of that. I actually liked the book. It was squirmingly depressing at times (as in “oh please people, wake up and take some responsibility for pete’s sake”), but it winds up realistically redemptive. Zevin keeps the story from dragging by skipping forward years at a time, because it definitely takes many years for the characters to put their lives together.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hole We're in.

January 24, 2010 – Started Reading