Kristi's Reviews > Peculiar Treasures

Peculiar Treasures by Frederick Buechner

1197441

bookshelves: faith

That may be one of the loveliest things I’ve ever read. And I’m not talking religious pie-in-the-sky happy-clappy because if you know me then you know that I can’t stand that stuff. This book was sarcastic and irreverent and funny and poignant and it hits my heart with truth so strong that it makes me laugh and cry, sometimes at the same time. Finally, a commentary of Biblical characters written with humor and a clear eye. Buechner refuses to paint these men and women as anything else but men and women, human beings who are just like the rest of us. Scripture has never pulled any punches, and yet Christian culture has often elevated Biblical figures to something more than human, an inaccurate affectation that makes them feel unrelatable and out of reach. Buechner peels back the Christianese mystique and presents these people as they were … faulty and well-meaning and weak and imperfect and in need of God … just like the rest of us. And ultimately, as Buechner plows through the Bible, the picture that emerges, the thread that runs through the whole book is the goodness and the completeness and the love of God. It makes me love Him more than ever.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Peculiar Treasures.

February 25, 2014 – Started Reading