Paul Harmon's Reviews > The Monster's Corner: Stories Through Inhuman Eyes

The Monster's Corner by Christopher Golden

bookshelves: horror

We All know how Anthologies work. The quality is up and down and some people just don't get the theme or just should never have been included etc.
The Monster's corner Edited by the great (to me) Christopher Golden isn't much different but I admit it was a little better than many anthologies I've come across.

There were a few spits and stutters along the way.
Succumb by John Mcllveen was a rather pointless sex story. Big Man by David Moody was really just the old 50's shlock film the colossal Man.and The Other One by Michael Marshall Smith, While Being a decent story didnt really belong in this collection.

Some of the High points for me Were the First Story The Awkward Age by David Liss which I thought I'd hate at first but hooked me by the end. Wicked Be by Heather Graham really Surprised me in a good way. I really felt there was a good Who's Really the monster here? question going here and I put this near the top for me. Specimen 313 by Jeff Strand was amusing as a wink to Little shop of Horror's. Less of a Girl was a gory and very short little brain worm that may make you look around your little girls room a little better. Jesus and Stan go Jogging in the Desert by Simon R Green was a great little read despite my personal beliefs this was a good story and shouldn't offend many on either side of the belief system despite the title.

As Far as others go Torn Stitches and Shattered Glass By Kevin J Anderson was a fabulously written extension of the Frankenstein Story but my dislike of the subject matter was the problem for me but still a Great Story. I also thought Rakshasi by Kelley Armstrong would be a Great Novel or series it being short actually lessened It's Effect.

So overall if you are a monster and horror fan I can recommend this book as being worth a try even if you have to deal with a couple stories that don't shine as brightly

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Monster's Corner.

February 25, 2014 – Started Reading
February 25, 2014 – Shelved
March 4, 2014 –
page 101
26.03% "The First Story The Awkward Age by David Liss Ended up being good even though I didnt think it would at first. I would have liked to have more closure on Neil. Jonathan Maberry's Saint John wasn't bad at all kind of a post Apoc. story. Rue by Lauren Goff just wasn't my style really it felt very poetic but missing something."
March 13, 2014 –
page 141
36.34% "Succumb by John Mcllveen...Yeah Yeah Succubus whatever just an excuse to write a sex scene, blah blah boring crap. Torn Stitches and Shattered Glass By Kevin J Anderson. Anderson is a good writer and did a fine job here in a story about Frankestein's Monster living among the Jews during Pre-WW2 Rise of Nazism but Not a fan of Frankenstein so a little wasted on me. Rattler and Mothman by Sharyn McCrumb. I enjoyed it."
March 31, 2014 –
page 203
52.32% "#7 Big Man by David Moody Just a rehash of the old Colossal man movie nothing new hear 2 stars\n #8 Raksashi by Kelley Armstrong This would have actually been better as a full length piece You lose a lot cutting it down 3 stars\n #9 Breeding the Demons by Nate Kenyon It was ok felt a little like a gory episode from a Horror themed Twilight Zone type show 3 Stars"
April 20, 2014 –
page 259
66.75% "#10 Sirens Song by Dana Stabenow -This didnt feel at all monsterish but more like an Episode of Law an Order but it was ok 3 Stars\n #11 Less of a Girl by Chelsea Cane - Goulish and very short story Being short seemed to feel right not too bad but 3.25 stars\n #12 The Cruel Thief of Rosy Infants by Tom Piccirilli -Longest one so far but a little sparse in the details, hard to get a good feel on characters. 2.75 stars"
April 27, 2014 –
page 303
78.09% "#13 The Screaming Room by Sarah Pinborough The Is a Medusa tale from Her POV Not Bad 3 Stars.\n #14 Wicked Be by Heather Graham To me the monster was a Hero. Witch in the new world tale. Good Story One of my Favs in the book but bad things happening to zealots make me bias 4 stars.\n #15 Specimen 313 by Jeff Strand 1 Rsn I bought this. It reminded me of Little Shop of Horrors. It was Funny and Pretty Good 4 stars."
April 27, 2014 –
page 341
87.89% "#16 The Lake by Tananarive Due The Story was ok if not a lot Predictable. A Mysterious lake and a Woman who wants to be different. 2.5 Stars\n #17 The Other One by Michael Marshall Smith The Story was very Avg Another story of a woman who wants a different life. Seriously is no woman happy to just be as she is? Anyway it had no Monster type connection what so ever 2 Stars"
April 28, 2014 –
page 380
97.94% "And you Still Wonder Why Our First Impulse is to Kill You by Gary A Braunbeck - I'm Still not sure what I was reading Here, Weird Lets call it 2.5 stars and go our Separate ways.\n Jesus and Satan Go Jogging In the Desert by Simon R Green - The title pretty much sums it up and despite my Atheist bearing I enjoyed this 4 Stars"
April 28, 2014 – Shelved as: horror