Lushbug's Reviews > The Boleyn Inheritance

The Boleyn Inheritance by Philippa Gregory

Jan 24, 2010

Fantastic read. Really sucks you into the terrible Tudor age. Henry is brought to life as an old, smelly, fat, puss filled tyrant-deluded and feared by all, his every whim catered to.

Book is narrated by three people, Anne of Cleves who comes over as Henrys fourth bride, Katherine Howards who becomes his fifth wife and Lady Jane Rochford who is lady in waiting to both these brief queens.

Anne of Cleves comes across as a very sensible, kind woman. You can understand everyones confusion and dismay when she is usurped as Queen by the silly, vain Katherine Howard simply because the King finds her more attractive. Anne handles her public casting off and humiliation well (imagine the embarrassment of knowing a fat old smelly king who repulses you has openly told the court he cant bed you as you have slack breasts and a fat belly) and being unable to defend yourself for fear of punishment and death. You can feel the fear of court-no one knows who will be caught in the trap and bedheaded on trumped up charges and everyone seems willing to turn on their friends to escape the axe.

Even Katherine was quite likable-at the end of the day she had had no parental authority in her life when growing up and spent her teenage years in idleness with other young girls-who can blame her for becoming a silly wanton intent on nothing but her own pleasure. I shuddered with repulsion alongside her when she has to endure the kings public groping and when she had to lie with him in a bed and try to conceive a child ( as her future depended on it) though he is well past the ability and must have made her want to vomit (being about twenty stone, smelly, with a fuss filled leg that constantly oozed and stank) urghhhh.

None of the three women get any choice in their life `We are all players in this game, but we do not choose our own moves'.

One of those books that made me want to read more on the Tudor queens and even the notorious Jane Rochaford and discover more about their life and times.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boleyn Inheritance.

05/29/2016 marked as: read