Liz's Reviews > Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

Jan 23, 2010

bookshelves: 4-star, classics, class-page-stage-and-screen, own
Read from March 31 to April 27, 2010

I went into this novel with somewhat unfair pre-conceived notions that it would be very much suited for children in some ways, but contain a deeper level of trippyness. While I think that trippyness comes across in several film adaptations of this novel, the book itself still felt quite Victorian to me, if that makes sense.

I think this novel deals a good deal with childhood intellect and imagination. Alice talks like a proper little lady (hence my allusion to the Victorians) and seems to holds some her own ideas about how people should act and what good manners are. Carroll seems interested in commenting on certain aspects of Victorian society, such as how to raise children. He also parodies several poems, and I think it's interesting to examine the function of this. I myself am not entirely sure what that is.

This book is brief and extremely readable. The plot moves at a good pace throughout the story. I'd also like to say the ending really worked for me. I know some people may see it as a cop-out, but for me it felt feasible.

I'll be writing a paper on this book and an adaptation of it called Neco Z Alenky soon, so I'm looking forward to developing my ideas on it a bit more. I also have to add that should you ever choose to watch Neco Z Alenky, be warned that it gets somewhat creepy and disturbing in some places (it is, however, very interesting).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

03/31/2010 page 103